Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.99407°N / 112.17337°W
Additional Information County: Sevier
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10129 ft / 3087 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pioneer Peak is the highest of a cluster of 10,000-foot peaks in the northern portion of the Pahvant Mountains in Central Utah. The network of dirt roads in the are make access to this peak rather easy, as well as the hike. As with much of the Pahvant Mountains, wildflowers are in major abundance.

Getting There

Take highway 50 that runs between Scipio andSevier Valley (towns of Salina, Aurora, Redmond). Approximately 5 miles out ofthe Sevier Valley, then turn west and drive along Forest Road 102. It meandersup a canyon and gains the main backbone of the range after several miles. Mostpassenger vehicles can make it up this road. The road that travels north-southin the range is Forest Road 96. Turn right (north) onto this road. The firstpeak encountered is Willow Creek Peak, but the second is the taller Jacks Peak.From the western slope of Jack’s Peak, drive straight west to the Pioneer Peakas far as you can (<1 mile).

Road to Pioneer
Road to Pioneer

Route

From the end of the dirt road, a faint path can be made out in the alpine foliage. Follow this up until it fades out, then head straight for the summit. The brush is short so finding your way isn't too complicated.

Round-trip Distance: 1 mile
Elevation Gain: 500 feet

Red Tape

This area sits in the Fish Lake National Forest. There are no fees. However, Forest Road 102 is closed except to snowmobiles in the winter. Also, avoid this road after a rain due to how slick it becomes, which can lead to unmanageable erosion when people drive on it.

When to Climb

Any time of year. Prepare for a long ski or snowshoe in during the winter unless you have a snowmobile.

Camping

There are a couple random primitive campsites along Forest Road 102. There's also Maple Grove Campground north on Highway 50.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pahvant MountainsMountains & Rocks