Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.99379°N / 112.19593°W
Additional Information County: Sevier
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10022 ft / 3055 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Catherine is one of a cluster of 10,000-foot peaks in the northern part of the Pahvant Mountain Range in Central Utah. From the west, it rises almost 5,000 feet above the town of Fillmore, Utah on the edge of the basin and range country.

Getting There

Take highway 50 that runs between Scipio and Sevier Valley (towns of Salina, Aurora, Redmond). Approximately 5 miles out of the Sevier Valley, then turn west and drive along Forest Road 102. It meanders up a canyon and gains the main backbone of the range after several miles. Most passenger vehicles can make it up this road. The road that travels north-south in the range is Forest Road 96. Turn right (north) onto this road. The first peak encountered is Willow Creek Peak, but the second is the taller Jacks Peak.From the western slope of Jack’s Peak, drive straight west to the Pioneer Peak as far as you can (<1 mile).

Route

From the end of the dirt road, a faint path can be made out in the alpine foliage. Follow this up to the south (left) shoulder of Pioneer Peak. It travels south from the shoulder for a long way before it turns west and follows the ridge between Pioneer Peak and Mount Catherine. Watch out for all the cow dung. Once in the saddle, follow the faint trail up the eastern slope of Mount Catherine that tends to stay more on the south side of the ridge.

Round-trip Distance: 5 miles
Elevation Gain: 400 feet (absolute), 800 feet (total)
Topo to Mt Catherine
Topo to Mt Catherine

Red Tape

This area sits in the Fish Lake National Forest. There are no fees. However, Forest Road 102 is closed except to snowmobiles in the winter. Also, avoid this road after a rain due to how slick it becomes, which can lead to unmanageable erosion when people drive on it.

When to Climb

Any time of year. Prepare for a long ski or snowshoe in during the winter unless you have a snowmobile.

Camping

There are a couple random primitive campsites along Forest Road 102. There's also Maple Grove Campground north on Highway 50.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pahvant MountainsMountains & Rocks