Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.40328°N / 111.37186°W
Additional Information County: San Pete
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11230 ft / 3423 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

North Tent Peak is the second highest point in the Wasatch Plateau after its slightly higher neighbor, South Tent Peak. From here, much of Utah can be seen from the La Sal Mountains near Colorado to the Deep Creek Mountains on the Nevada border. A fairly easy hike to the summit makes this a worthwhile destination in its own right. Most will try to visit South Tent Peak in the same trip, which is almost exactly a mile away.

Getting There

From Ephraim: Take Ephraim Canyon Road 15 miles from town and turn slight left (North) onto Skyline Drive. Drive along Skyline Drive for 8.6 miles until there is a patch of several pine trees on the right side (East) of the road at the bottom of the southwest slope. The old ATV trail is usually discernible at this point.

From Spring City: Take Spring Canyon road east from town for 12.9 miles. Turn right (South) onto Skyline Drive and continue for 3 miles to the location noted above.

Route

From the small tuft of trees on the east side of the road southwest from the peak, there is an old ATV road that ascends the peak. Large boulders and piles of rocks make it impassable for motor vehicles but the path is still navigable by foot as it switchbacks up the southwest slope of the peak.
Round-trip Distance: 1.68 miles
Elevation Gain: 700 feet

Red Tape

The area is managed but US Forest Service. No permits or reservations required. Please use Leave No Trace ethics.

When to Climb

Year-round is possible but the winter ascents require use of a snowmobile to get to the area.

Camping

There are several primitive camping sites in the immediate vicinity. Otherwise, you'll have to refer to the camping section on the Wasatch Plateau page for more information.