Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.22833°N / 121.20117°W
Additional Information County: Kittitas
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3775 ft / 1151 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Looking over the ridge
Looking over the ridge

Monahan Mountain is a relatively unknown mountain located 17 miles southeast of Snoqualmie Pass. Though this peak is small in Washington State Terms it does have 1335 feet of prominence and also contains decent views along the northwest views ridge pretty much all of the way to the summit. There is a very rough road that leads very close to summit which would require an extremely hardy SUV and may or may not be open. There are many different accounts on this road. Many of the recent reports are mostly hikes from Canyon Creek Road.  If you are hiking it is a 4.5 mile 1500 foot elevation gain mostly road hike or a 3.5 off trail ridge traverse to the summit. Personally though I would save this peak for wintertime when is becomes a very enjoyable and relatively safe snowshoe in considerable avalanche danger.

09856C3B-8533-4039-909B-53E159D94DBE

 

Nearing the summit of Monahan Mountain
Nearing the summit of Monahan Mountain

Getting There

FROM EXIT 71: Make a right off of the ramp. Go through the town of Easton and stay on Canyon Creek Road as it goes to the west of Monahan Mountain. Go past three power line areas. At the third powerline area look for a place to left with a brown sign. There is where you are to start your trip up Monahan Mountain. Look for parking there or as the road turns to Forest Road 71. Make sure when you come to this location don't park and go up the wrong gate. There is plenty of well marked private property areas before you hit this mountain.

98DD4463-25D2-4617-8446-B474DB354586

Route

 
Map of the Route up Monahan Mountain
Map of the Route up Monahan Mountain

In summer this is a forest road that leads within a hundred feet of the summit. It may or may not be gated. In winter though you actually have two options. One is the road if you can even find it with the fresh snow or the second way is up the Northwest Ridge, which is a more scenic off-trail bushwhack/snowshoe. If there is snow this is then a super rewarding route up Monahan Mountain. There are a number of open areas on the ridge, each that give rewarding views if good weather conditions do occur. For this route to open though there must be good snow. Otherwise this will make what should be a very easy much mountain much more of a struggle with downed trees, mossy rocks and unnecessary Class 2 scrambling.  

B483966A-41AD-485F-ADC5-964FAB9F6C7C
Group getting lower
Group getting lower

Red Tape

As of January 2018 there is no read tape. However watch where you park because there is plenty of private land in this area.

When to Climb

Group summit shot
Summer may be easier but winter is a whole lot more fun!!!

You can do this peak at anytime. Winter though is clearly the most rewarding time to do this mountain. If you aren't in a heavy snowstorm like I was you will be rewarded with excellent views and it is relatively save during times of higher avalanche danger.

22C82BF5-143B-434F-B0D6-865745CD91C7

Camping

Didn't see any signs against it but because it an easier mountain I personally would discourage from doing any camping on the peak.

External Links

Great trip report from Greg Slayden on Peakbagger