Copper Mountains Highpoint

Copper Mountains Highpoint

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 32.49790°N / 113.9968°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2888 ft / 880 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Copper Mountains are located on the Barry M. Goldwater Range in southwest Arizona. These jagged mountains rise above the desert floor about 12 miles south of Tacna. Coyote Peak is the only named peak in the Coppers, but it is not the highpoint. The highpoint is designated simply as 2888. Few people ever visit the Coppers. A check of Peakbagger.com reveals only seven registered ascents of the highpoint as of February 2018. But for those people willing to venture off the beaten path, the rugged and remote Copper Mountains Highpoint makes for a worthy goal.

Getting There

From the town of Tacna on I-8, travel south on Avenue 40E. The pavement ends after one mile. Zero your odometer here. At 1.0 miles, go right. At 4.3 miles, go left. At 7.5 miles, go right. At 12.0 miles, you will come to a large turnaround area. The good roads ends here. Continue southwest on a rougher road. You will drive by Betty Lee Tank on the way in. There are a few road signs for Betty Lee Tank, so just follow the signs. Park after about 14.2 miles.

Route

See the attached Peakbagger.com GPS track. It shows the route to the top. The route is Class 1 and 2, with a few short Class 3 sections. From the parking area, head northwest to enter the canyon. Follow the rough canyon as it heads southwest up the mountain. You will have to bypass some dry waterfalls along the way. The canyon ends once you are just south of the highpoint. Climb up the steep, rocky slope to the summit, where you can enjoy the desert views. Hiking Distance: 1.2 miles one way. Elevation Gain: 1,700'.

Red Tape

You will need a free permit to enter the Goldwater Range. See the attachment below for info on how to obtain a permit.

External Links

Copper Mountains Peakbagger.com Page GPS Track Goldwater Range Info Scott Peavy Pictures Gallery

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Humphrey

Humphrey - Jan 22, 2023 8:08 am - Voted 7/10

Additional photos

https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=49523&start=0 https://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=57937&start=0 Links to some additional photos for Copper Mountain Highpoint

Viewing: 1-1 of 1