Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 58.47318°N / 134.58038°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 5150 ft / 1570 m
Sign the Climber's Log

 

Overview

Stroller White is a semi-technical summit accessed from the West Glacier Trailhead. The hike is 12.5 miles round trip and climbs 6,200' in elevation gain. It can be climbed in spring or summer. Spring has high avalanche risk, but steep sections are filled with snow. Summer hiking is brushy and some of the dirt is steep enough crampons might help to not slide. 

Summit shot!
Summit shot!

Getting There

From Downtown Juneau, take Egan Drive North. Make a right on Mendenhall Loop Road. After 2.2 miles turn left to stay on Mendenhall Loop Road. Turn right on Montana Creek Way. Continue on Montana Creek Road past Skaters Cabin. The road will dead end at the West Glacier Trail trailhead.

Looking down the gully before the summit
Looking down the gully before the summit

Route

The Stroller White Standard Route starts from west glacier trailhead and follows the normal route to Mt. McGinnis. After the overlook onto the Mendenhall glacier (mile 3.4), head uphill for a total distance from the trailhead of 3.75 miles. Here you will veer to the Right towards a valley/gully below the saddle of McGinnis and Stroller White. Cross the gully below the saddle and head up a steep incline on the far side. After escaping from the gully, the summit will come into view. Traverse climbers right below the summit heading to the North and climb a steep gully that heads North-West. Turn South at the top of the gully and hike 400' more uphill and the summit is obtained. 

Route Overview
Route Overview

See the route page for more details and for the map  and Garmin .gpx files

Red Tape

There is no red tape here, so please use LNT principles.

When to Climb

Mid-June through mid-September is the normal hiking season. With easy access, winter ascents would be reasonable as well, though there will be avalanche danger on the highest slopes and in the gully.

June can be a really nice time to climb since it’s the sunniest summer month, though there tends to be more snow around.

Avalanche debris in the saddle
Avalanche debris in the saddle

Camping

Backcountry Camping

Permits are not needed to camp in the Tongass National Forest.

 

External Links

Tongass National Forest

 



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.