White Cap Mountain

White Cap Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.55460°N / 69.2464°W
Additional Information Elevation: 3654 ft / 1114 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

White Cap Mountain is located in central Maine.  This prominent mountain is the highpoint of the central Longfellow Mountains.  The Appalachian Trail (AT) crosses over the summit of White Cap, which is the last major climb before the end of the trail at Mount Katahdin.  White Cap has a prominence of 2,604', and an impressive isolation of 27.5 miles.    

 

Getting There

See the link entitled "GPS Track for Driving Route".  It shows the way to the trailhead.  It is about 14 miles from the start of Frenchtown Road to the trailhead.  The road is good gravel for 13 miles.  However, there is a one mile stretch near Second West Branch Pond that is a little rocky, and can be muddy after rains.   

Your goal is to drive to the AT trail sign on the north side of the road near BM 1587T.  There is no designated parking area here.  However, there are a few wide spots in the road that you can park at.  As of June 2018, there are a lot of logging trucks using this road, so you better make sure you park off the road.    

 

Route

See the link entitled "GPS Track for Hiking Route".  It shows the way to the summit.  From the AT trail sign, start hiking south up the trail towards White Cap Mountain.  The trail is steep for the first quarter mile or so, but then it moderates.  About half ways in, you will pass an AT shelter.  There are a lot of tree roots on the trail in various locations.  This will slow your progress somewhat.  There are also stone steps in a few areas.  As you near the top, the trail winds around to the south side of the mountain.  You will soon see the summit trail sign.  Make the final push to the summit, where you can enjoy the views.       

External Links

GPS Track for Driving Route

GPS Track for Hiking Route

White Cap Mountain on Wikipedia

White Cap Mountain on Peakbagger

White Cap Mountain on Lists of John