Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.68300°N / 122.01°W
Additional Information County: Lewis
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4477 ft / 1365 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Stunning TahomaFrom Bruni's Snowbowl Hut (1/16/19)

Ok folks let me be clear. I named this peak largely peak because it is the highest point on ridge that contains the legendary Bruni's Snowbowl Hut. It has no official name and is listed as Point 4477. The actually hut is located on a southern sub summit and contains stunning views of Mount Rainier, Mount Adams neighboring High Hut and many other mountains in the region. It is a stunning and very well maintained hut and is downright one of the prettiest places to do Hut travelling on the Tahoma Trails. That being said the Hut is not the true summit of the ridge. That would be Point 4477 located to the north of the road as it crosses over the ridge.

The HutBruni's Snowbowl Hut (1/16/19)

The true summit itself does have some views of Mount Rainier and unlike the Hut it has 647 feet of prominence. There is a 300 foot off-trail snowshoe or bushwhack from the roadwalk or snowshoe path to the summit which is not very difficult provided you have some experience with offtrail snowshoeing and bushwhacking. On the way up you will have an excellent view of Bruni's Snowbowl Hut towards the south. Despite being so close to the road virtually no one goes there which means you will have the whole summit to yourself. Ideally ou will want to do both the peak in winter when it is by far the most scenic.  

Stunning views on the way to the true summitStunning views on the way to the true summit

Getting There

FROM ELBE, WASHINGTON: You want to go SR 706 to just before Ashford. Make a right onto a road located just before the Baptist Church which will be DNR 1. Stay on the road for five miles as it passes by number of other road many which are gate. This section could be slightly confusing except there are signs that do lead to the Hut parking area. Soon you arrrive at the lower Sno-Park lot. If the snow is not too bad and it is not gated you can head higher up to middle lot which with shave about two miles round-trip and 700 feet of elevation gain.

Route

Map of the RouteMap of the Route
 

To get to the small scramble you want to take the basic road-walk from the parking area. There will be a very well marked intersection roughly 1.5 miles up from the Middle Parking lot pointing to Bruni's Snowbowl Hut on your left and High Hut on your right. Make that left and take it as it gets steeper to the top of the ridge. Once you get to the top of the ridge you may see some pray flags and you will see an open pit to your lefthand or north side. From there choose your route and go uphill to the true summit. Once on the true summit where you will experience a partially treed in view of Rainier then head down to the road and head down the hill for about 0.2 miles and make a right on the obviously signed Bruni's Snowbowl Hut. Take it to the top of the Hut where you will experience stunning views of Mount Rainier. Return the way you came. 

Rainier from the true summitRainier from the true summit (1/16/19)

Red Tape

In summer this parking area only requires a Discover Pass. In winter though this area requires both a Discover Pass and a Sno-Park Pass.

Unnamed Image

When to Climb

More Scenic ViewsMore scenic views while heading to the true summit (1/19/19)

Though this peak can be hiked to year round it is most popular in winter. The trail up can be groomed in winter making the destination highly desirable. Also this summit has very little risk of avalanche danger making it relatively safe hike even moderate or considerable avalanche danger. In summer this is nothing more than a road slog and with hundreds of trails nearby this because much less of a desirable place to visit. You will though have a better chance of solitude and have a good chance to summit though but I really would not recommend coming here in summer. 

Camping

This is one of the summits you will clearly want to stay overnight in winter. High Hut is available for overnight use provided you make reservations. Space is limited but the hut is well constructed and it does provide nice accommodations away from the cold. To make reservations at the hut go onto the Mount Tahoma Reservations page. As of 2017 it is $15 per person. Make sure to bring your own fun and a sleeping bag when heading up to this Hut.    

External Links

Mount Tahoma Trails Link

https://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=60571