Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.86145°N / 107.75612°W
Additional Information County: San Juan
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 13159 ft / 4011 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Summit of 13159Summit of 13159
Unnamed 13159Unnamed 13159
Unnamed 13159
is a ranked peak in the vicinity of the historic town of Silverton. There are so many peaks in Colorado and many remained unamed. Colorado has 584 ranked 13ers, peaks over 13,000 feet (= 3962 m). The 13159 peak provides a nice outing mostly on a trail, you can visit beautiful Columbine Lake and if having enough energy you can add another ranked 13er Bridal Peak. The views from Columbine Pass are spectacular and encompass Bridal Veil Basin and the Sneffels Range. 

Colorado Rank: 514

Parent Lineage: Line Parent: Lookout Peak    Proximate Parent: Bridal Peak

Class: 2, maybe short sections of 2+

Nearby Peaks:

Getting There

The trail is located off Million Dollar Highway, near the historic town of Silverton. Turn onto well marked Ophir Pass Road and after crossing the bridge, take the first turn onto a smaller dirt road on the right side, Forest Service Rd. 820. There is limited parking at the trailhead. 

Route

Nice trailNice trail
Columbine LakeColumbine Lake
The hike starts just off Ophir Pass road, you turn onto a smaller dirt road and reach the small trailhead marked with a parking lot for about 2 cars (there are more parking spaces higher up the road). The trailhead is at 10,346 feet and starts with steep switchbacks through spruce fir forest. After climbing 1.3 miles and gaining 1,100 feet the grade eases and you enter an open alpine basin carpeted in meadows with wildflowers. At the head of the basin the trail makes a wide arc, swinging left to reach a saddle on a ridge at 12,541 feet. The trail traverses meadows and passes a few small tarns. Columbine Lake is a turquoise jewel satin a glacial bowl surrounded by rugged ridges over 13,000 feet high. Lookout Peak rises above the southwestern end of the lake. 
UN 13159 has a more mellow west ridge, which you can access on grassy slopes from Columbine Lake. Soon you reach the rocky (stable talus) ridge of UN 13159. You go over a first little summit, descent slightly and then continue towards the main summit of UN 13159. There was no summit register as of 2019, only a small cairn. Views are spectacular. I decided to return the same way since my son was waiting for me at the lake, but there is an option to descent east ridge/slopes and join the trail, especially earlier in the season when slopes are covered with snow. 

Red Tape

There is no red tape. Driving up the 4 WD road, parking and hiking are free. The parking area at the trailhead is small - only about 2 cars, higher up is another spot where you can park. The 4WD road is open seasonally, but million dollar highway is close by (open year round). 

When to Climb

Summer and early fall are the easiest. The trail up to Columbine Pass and towards the Columbine Lake is easy to follow and there are many wildflowers there in the summer. Winter and early spring pose a high risk of avalanches. Check Northern San Juan Avalanche conditions prior venturing out there. 

Camping

There is primitive camping along the road up the Ophir Pass. You can back pack up in the basin above Columbine Pass and there are many developed campgrounds in the vicinity of Silverton. 

External Links