Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.62475°N / 83.39322°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6120 ft / 1865 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Ambler lies just off the Appalachian Trail in The Great Smoky Mountain National Park. There is no trail from the AT to the top of Mount Ambler and no views from its' summit. The vast majority of people walking this section of the AT walk right underneth the summit, never knowing that is only 60 feet or so off the trail. Though the summit offers no views, there are several excellent viewing points within a few miles. These include Charlies Bunion and The Jump Off. 

Getting There

The most direct route is to hike the Appalachian Trail east from Newfound Gap parking lot. The Mount Ambler summit lies just over 2 miles from Newfound Gap. Look for it on your right (if hiking East) after passing the intersection with Sweet Heifer Creek Trail and before reaching The Boulevard Trail. 

Newfound Gap parking lot can be reached by traveling highway 441 north from Cherokee, NC or by taking 441 south from Gatlinburg, TN.

Alternate hiking routes to Mount Ambler include taking the Boulevard from the Mount LeConte summit. Many options are available to reach the LeConte summit. The AT near Mount Ambler can also be reached by hiking north on the Sweet Heifer Trail head which is also located along highway 441.

There is a small rock cairn marking the summit.

Ambler3
Ambler3
Ambler1
Ambler1

Red Tape

This summit can be reached from Newfound Gap with a day hike requiring no permits needed. Overnight stays in the GSMNP require a premit/reservation for use of shelters or tent sites.

When to Climb

The summit can be reached at any time of year. Winter in the Smoky's can be unpredictable with mild/moderate weather or ice, snow, cold, and high winds at elevation. Also be aware of common pop-up thunderstorms during the summer.

Camping

The nearest camping is along the AT at Icewater Springs shelter.

Icewater Spring Shelter along the AT

External Links

Add External Links text here.