Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.66357°N / 120.92452°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Whatcom
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7416 ft / 2260 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Beebe Mountain is a 7,416 ft mountain in the North Cascades, named for Frank Beebe, a gent who worked for the US Forest Service and built a cabin near the base of this gem of a peak. While not as large as some of its neighbors, it is notable for a steep approach, moderately-sloped summit, and grand views of Elijah Ridge, Jack Mountain, and Crater Mountain (and close access to Highway 20).

Getting There

Drive east on Highway 20 from Newhalem to beyond the Canyon Creek Trailhead, immediately south of Beebe Creek.

Route

From immediately ESE of Beebe Creek, look for the orange flagging tape by the side of the road, and follow a small dirt path to enter the forest. Continue following the faint path as it cuts in and out, until you find orange and pink ribbon markers. The dirt path will occasionally reappear in the moss, but it becomes less defined further up. Continue to follow the flagging tape, marked approximately every 30-50 feet, to a talus field below some small cliffs. Look for flagging tape on upper edge of talus field 400 ft below Point 5639. Scramble or climb up ledges on mossy boulders until you find flagging tape leading you into the brush directly upslope toward Pt 5639.

Continue following ribbons over Pt 5639 and along ridgeline until brush opens up, and summit slopes become more visible. Beyond the brush the ribbons end, as the way ahead is easy to follow.

In summer, these slopes with be a series of steep steppy heather fields interspersed with occasional talus and scree. Proceed directly toward summit over heather or talus according to comfort level (the heather is a bit safer, as these slopes are or exceed 45 degrees, and the talus and scree is loose).

The summit is a long rocky ridge of small-moderate width, with a few stunted trees and shrubs. Find the summit register inside a small PVC tube inside a cairn at the summit. Enjoy views of Jack, Crater, Snowfield, Logan, Boston, Forbidden, Eldorado, Klawatti, Ruby, Hozomeen, and many many other peaks.

Descend carefully via same route.

 

Red Tape

Northwest Forest Pass, and cross-country camping permit if camping on the mountain.

When to Climb

Appears to be doable year round, if the road is open to that point. But it's a bit easier in summer.

Camping

Camping is permitted within the park, but the maximum number of parties for Elijah Ridge/ Beebe Mountain is 2, with a max member number of 6.

External Links