Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.38969°N / 116.48947°W
Additional Information County: San Diego
Additional Information Elevation: 3482 ft / 1061 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Elder North is a remote, spiky peak in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. It is the higher cousin to Elder Benchmark above Collins Valley, north of Borrego Springs, CA. It has 600' of prominence and a chossy 15' summit block with big air on the other side. There are no trails of any kind.

Getting There

To reach the closest starting point, take DiGiorgio Road north from Borrego Springs until it turns into a dirt jeep trail through Coyote Canyon. Follow the road north into Collins Valley over three stream crossings and a half mile section of rough rocks to a turnaround at the mouth of Salvador Canyon. The jeep trail drive is about 15 miles. High clearance is needed to safely get over the rocky section after the second stream crossing. 4x4 recommended for moderately deep sand toward the end, but the drive can probably be done without it.

Route

There are no trails or official routes, but two routes that have been used to reach Elder North. The shortest route (3.7 miles round trip) starts by going up Salvador Canyon about one half mile, then gaining the ridge line and scrambling over boulders, brush, and a false summit to the saddle below Elder North. Then, follow a class 2 ramp going NW to reach the summit area.

A second route is possible by ascending the gully below Elder Benchmark, then going over Elder Benchmark and down to the saddle. Then, follow the class 2 ramp going NW to the summit area.

The highest summit block is roughly YDS 5.9, but is crumbly and extremely difficult to climb without a rope. Recommend at least a 40 meter static rope.

 

Red Tape

The gate to Coyote Canyon is closed seasonally from June 1 to October 1 each year.

When to Climb

Fall to Spring when cooler weather prevails.

Camping

Camping is allowed anywhere in Collins Valley outside of the seasonally closed period.

External Links

Trip reports:

Iron Hiker first ascent

Richard Carey (initial placement of register)

Peaks for Freaks