Wollumbin/Mount Warning

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 28.39722°S / 153.27083°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 3123 ft / 952 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 

Wollumbin is a place of great spiritual significance to the Bundjalung People. Visitors are asked to respect their wishes and choose not to climb the summit track. That said, 60000 people climb it every year. If you do choose to climb it, please be respectful and pack out all of your trash and waste. 

Getting There

Take Kyogle Road south from Murwillumbah. Turn right on Mt. Warning Rd and take it to the car park at the end of the road. The trailhead is just to the left from the end of the car park. There are toilets in the car park. 

Route

 

8.8km return, 3-6 hours depending on your level of fitness. Follow the well marked trail through a subtropical and temperate rainforest, eventually leading to a wet sclerophyll forest and heath shrubland. The final 10% of the journey involves scrambling up a rock face using chains. The top of the mountain has well established seating and lookout areas that have stunning 360 degree views. 

Red Tape

None. 

When to Climb

It can be very hot in the summer and can get cold in the winter. Do not attempt to climb it in poor weather or when high winds or thunderstorms are forecast. If you climb it during the winter, be sure to start before midday as descending in the dark can be quite difficult. 

Camping

Camping available at nearby Cutters Camp inMebbin National Park or in Uki or Murwillumbah. 

External Links