Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.09860°N / 107.4961°W
Additional Information County: Hinsdale
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 13340 ft / 4066 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

UN 13340UN 13340
Porphyry BasinPorphyry Basin
Unnamed 13340 is a ranked 13er located in Cimarron Range of San Juan Mountains. I have heard an unofficial name "Porphyry Peak" since it rules over the Porphyry Basin. Colorado has 584 ranked 13ers (mountains > 13,000 feet = 3,962 meters) and many are unnamed. This peak is offers solitude and great views. It is often combined with other surrounding 13ers. I opted out for a loop from Porphyry Basin and since I had a late start I did only this peak (I have already summited all neighboring peaks). 

Colorado Rank: 360

Quad: Uncompahgre

Class: 2

Parent Lineage: "Heisshorn"

Wildeness: Uncompahgre

Nearby Peaks

Getting There

The Middle Fork Trailhead: Follow US Hwy 50 for about 20 miles east from Montrose (or 40 miles west from Gunnison) to the intersection with County Road 858 - well signed for Silver Jack Reservoir. At 18.7 miles you reach Silver Jack Reservoir, continue for another mile to forest service road 861.1 - Middle Fork. Turn right  and follow this road for 4.6 miles to end at a large parking area. 

If you have time, stop for a short stroll to a beautiful waterfall about 1.5 miles from the trailhead. There is marker for the trail at the road and a small pull out parking lot. 

Route

Pophyry Basin TrailPophyry Basin Trail
Cabin in Porphyry BasinCabin in Porphyry Basin
Follow the Middle Fork Trail #227 until the intersection with Porphyry Basin. The trail travels south following the Middle Fork Cimarron River at a gentle grade. In approximately 0.03 miles the trail enters the Uncompahgre Wilderness. It continues though Spruce/fir and aspen and at approximately 2.2 miles it intersects the Porphyry Basin Trail # 243 just before crossing a small drainage. There is a sign. 

Take the trail to Porphyry Basin - the trail follows a small drainage as it turns left and begins to switchback up above the cliffs through a channel cut by the stream. Porphyry Basin is fairly flat and sits at approximately 12,600 to 12,800 feet. Pinnacle Ridge rises up in the west with peaks rising to 13,222 and 13,315 feet. The entire length of this trail is in the Uncompahgre Wilderness. 

I chose a loop and descended on mostly grassy terrain and joined the Middle Fork Trail. One can also continue towards El Punto and join the Middle Fork Trail further west. Many combinations are possible. I was fortunate that my path was on snow all the way to the ridge, within 200 meters of the summit, so I avoided infamous San Juan scree. 

Red Tape

Parking, hiking, and even primitive camping are free. The peak is located in Wilderness area, so wilderness area rules apply. 

Leave No Trace. Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces. Dispose of Waste Properly. Leave What You Find. Minimize Campfire Impacts. Respect Wildlife. Be Considerable of Other Visitors. 

When to Climb

Summer and early fall are the easiest. I would recommend early summer, so you can follow snow instead of scree. Winter means much longer approach since the road is closed before Silver Jack Reservoir. 

Camping

There is great free camping along the Middle Fork Road. It is also possible to sleep at the trailhead. 

Developed campground would be Silver Jack Campground

External Links