Baldy Mountain & Little Baldy Mountain

Baldy Mountain & Little Baldy Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.43010°N / 111.20766°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9835 ft / 2998 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Idaho has several peaks named after the phrase bald or baldy. Baldy Mountain, located in the Snake River Range, is the 2nd highest mountain in Idaho with the name Baldy. Baldy Mountain is one of 100 Idaho summits with more than 2,000 feet of prominence. This is not a peak to be treated lightly. It is not complex with route finding but the amount of elevation gain in such a short distance offers for a good challenge/scrammble. The views offerd on this summit are really unique. You have the Swan Valley area, Palisades Reservour, Snake River Range, Big Hole Range, and the Tetons in one place. It is very beautiful! Worth the trip to see it.

Getting There

Travel to Swan Valley. If you are coming from Idaho Falls, you will follow HWY 26 all the way to Swan Valley. About 7 miles south of Swan Valley you will turn left onto Palisades Creek Road/FSR-255. Drive up Palisades Creek Road for 2.1 miles to the Palisades Creek Campground. Plenty of parking in the area. However, if you are trying to do this on the weekend, you may have a tough time finding a good spot to park. DO NOT CROSS THE BRIDGE! The campground manager highly enforces the campsites and no parking is allowed for people not using the campsites. Park in this area and from here you will be at the base. Do NOT travel down the ridge to try and find a more easily approachable path. Several large homes and properties sit right at the base of the mountain so you will be tresspassing if you approach from the lower points. You'll just have to start up the steep ridge right away to get to the top of the ridge. It is not as bad as it looks. 

Route

The path begins on the south ridge. You will have several obstacles in your way. Thick brush that can tear/scratch up exposed skin, thick vegetation, tree fall, and boulders to work around. Just be prepared for that. Thankfully at some points on the ridge you will come across very defined game trails that will lead you through some of the worst of the tree and vegetated areas. You will heading towards the first major saddle. Above this saddle, continue climbing up to the narrow ridge section that is called Little Baldy Mountain (8,462 feet). Once past Little Baldy, you will continue north up to the next better-defined ridge. At this point you will be getting out of the endless tree line. Once here, you will then continue up the last 500 ft towards the summit. On the final approach to the summit, it can it can be loose rock and dirt that just makes for a dreadful ending. Thankfully when we did it, it had just melted off some snow so we had great traction all the way up. Made for a nice last approach.

On the way back be sure to try and stick to the way you came as best as you can. It can be easy to turn yourself around and start heading down the wrong dranage which can make for a dangerous decent. Be safe and hike smart!

Distance: Idaho Mountain Guide says this was a 6.5 mile climb with 4700 ft of elevation gain. I clocked it as being 5.5. Either way it was long and steep.

Red Tape

No red tape in this area. You will need to respect private property otherwise you can get the local law enforcement called on you for trespassing so please be respectful. 

When to Climb

This peak can be accomplished best during the summer and fall. Spring is dooable depending on the amount of snow fall the area gets for the winter. I would not recommend a winter climb. This specific mountain can be dangerous with snow and ice. Avalanche danger and falling is possible. Go at your own risk if you attempt a winter climb. 

Camping

Camping is found in the area. One of Idaho's most traveled trails, Palisade Lakes is located right at the base of the mountain. Campgrounds are available for a fee. As for backpacking, options are limited since so much of the area is privately owne. Very few spots up the ridge are a possible place to camp but would not recommend it. 

External Links

Idaho Climbing Guide is always a great reference to use when climbing mountains in this area:

https://www.idahoaclimbingguide.com/bookupdates/baldy-mountain/



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Snake River RangeMountains & Rocks