Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.25120°N / 107.5961°W
Additional Information County: Cibola
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 11036 ft / 3364 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

La Mosca Lookout is an 11k peak located just over a mile N/NE of Mount Taylor 11,301’.  The two mountains are often (and easily) hiked together.  La Mosca Lookout retains a prominence of over 470’.  La Mosca Lookout has relatively better views than Mount Taylor because there is no tree cover in any direction.

The Lookout itself wasn’t open to the public when I visited on 5/28/2021, although this may change in coming months.  Regardless, views from the summit area are still quite good.

A road goes all the way to the summit from the north, and it can be driven by most vehicles.  Although, it is better to hike some of the road and it can easily be combined with Mount Taylor from the saddle via a short hike.

Like Mount Taylor, La Mosca Lookout is best hiked in late spring and early fall.  This depends on snow conditions.  However, a good rule of thumb is to hike in May/June or September/October.  This would make a good springtime snowshoe if the road leading up to the mountain isn’t too snow covered.

Getting There

The primary option is from the north via Forest Service Road 453.  Mount Taylor is often approached from Gooseberry Springs, but if hiking both summits, hikers would have to hike back over Mount Taylor again. Therefore, the combination hike is best done from the north.

From Albuquerque, travel west on I-40 to Grants, which is about 50 miles away. Once you reach Grants, take NM 547 northeast through Grants and toward Mount Taylor.  This is called Lobo Canyon Road in Grants. 

Once the pavement ends about 11 miles from town, continue for another three miles and turn right on Forest Service Road 453. 

There is a sign saying that La Mosca Lookout is about 5 miles away.  It is just a little over that.  2WD vehicles can make it pretty much all the way to the summit.  Although if wanting a nice day hike, there is a trailhead about 2 miles up the road at the Continental Divide Trail.

Hiking up the road to the Lookout
Hiking up the road to the Lookout

Park here, and it is about 3 ¼ miles to La Mosca Lookout with an elevation gain of about 1,600’.  Mount Taylor adds about 2 miles round trip and another 715’.  That would make it 8 ½ miles for the day.

If wanting a really easy day, but still wanting to hike both summits, just drive up to the saddle, and hike up La Mosca Lookout and Mount Taylor in 3 1/2 miles round trip, gaining just under 1,200'.

The true summit of La Mosca Lookout isn’t perfectly clear.  It’s either at the Lookout itself, or at a bunch of rocks just south of the Lookout.  It is easy to just hike both of them.

Red Tape

La Mosca Lookout is located within the Cibola National Forest, so your typical National Forest rules will apply.

Like many New Mexico mountains, fire restrictions will likely apply in summer. In fact, the entire Mount Taylor Ranger District is sometimes closed during periods of extreme fire danger. Check for closures with the Cibola National Forest.  Review the Active Fire Map as well.

Camping

There are plenty of camping options on the north side, although they have no amenities.  A very large one is on the left about ¾ miles up Forest Road 453. 

 

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

CMStinson - Mar 24, 2022 2:25 pm - Hasn't voted

west, not east

A correction for the "Getting There" section... from Albuquerque, one travels WEST on I-40 to reach Grants (and eventually Mount Taylor)... not east as written.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Mar 24, 2022 2:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: west, not east

Ooh, good catch. Sorry about that! Changed.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2