Holt Hill - Essex County High Point

Holt Hill - Essex County High Point

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.64100°N / 71.1064°W
Additional Information County: Essex
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 425 ft / 130 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Located in the Charles W Ward Reservation, Holt Hill is the highest point of Essex County in Massachusetts. Thus, it is of interest to county highpointers. The Ward Reservation has a size of 704 acres, so it's a good size piece of land. Atop Holt Hill is a large ring of Solstice Stones.

A trail map is downloadable (see below).

There is a write-up for Ward Reservation, including Holt Hill, in the Appalachian Mountain Club's Massachusetts Trail Guide (currently on its 10th edition).

Interestingly, there are 7 Holt Hills in the US, all of them in New England (with New Hampshire having 3 of them). However, this Holt Hill is the only one in Massachusetts.

Getting There

Take I-495 to exit 100A onto Rt-114 east. At 1.9 miles stay right onto Rt-125 south. In 1.7 miles turn left onto Prospect Rd.

or

Take I-93 to exit 35 onto Rt-125 north. At 5.3 miles turn right into Prospect Rd.

GPS address is 34 Prospect Rd, Andover, MA.

Route

The most direct route to the summit is via the Yellow Trails loop, which joins the Bay Circuit Trail. 

Red Tape

Parking is limited and costs $6. You can pay with a credit card. The Reservation is only open during daylight hours.

When to Climb

All seasons.

Camping

No camping is allowed.

Maps

https://thetrustees.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Ward-Reservation-Trail-Map.pdf

USGS 7.5 x 7.5: South Groveland

External Links

https://thetrustees.org/place/charles-w-ward-reservation/

https://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=6750

https://www.listsofjohn.com/peak/123744

 

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
hgrapid

hgrapid - Jul 14, 2021 7:19 am - Hasn't voted

Deleted the other page

You posted this twice, so I deleted one of them. Please make sure to only post this page once.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.