Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.43847°N / 108.07833°W
Additional Information County: La Plata
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 13192 ft / 4021 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A beautiful rubble pile at the head of Tomahawk Basin, La Plata Mountains

Mount Moss Summit
Mount Moss Summit

Getting There

From the intersection of the Town of Hesperus, US 160 & La Plata Canyon, turn onto La Plata Canyon Rd (CR124).Travel approximately 10.6 miles up the canyon.  Locate FS 798 on your left and park where you fit or with a sturdy 4WD vehicle, carefully drive up FS 798 into Tomahawk Basin.  

Rocky FS798
Rocky FS798

Route

Starting elevation: 9,880'

Ending elevation: 13,192

Gain: 3,312'

RT mileage: Approx 7.4 miles 

 

Go Around
Go Around
I Love Choss
I Love Choss
Descent
Descent

Starting from the trailhead at CR124 and FS798, hike up the rocky FS798 until you reach the Little Kate Mine.  Follow a steep social trail up and across the slope and into the valley.  Basin creek will fall away to the left of you.  Continue up the valley, following a good social trail on dirt, rock and tundra.  Once the waterfall comes into view, locate the weakness of your choice to gain a bench above.  The rightmost weekness requires the least amount of bushwhacking and is the least steep.  Hike up into upper Tomahawk Basin.  The Southwest Ridge to the summit of Mount Moss appears at the head of the valley, with the Babcock summits to your left.  The ridgeline to Mouint Moss has several weaknesses. We ascended and descended different lines and others have ascended different lines than ours.  There are a few options that you can spy from the valley below.  Once you gain the ridge, there are carins to guide you along to the summit.  The route mostly takes you around the rock outcroppings along the ridge with one minor 3rd class move with minimal exposure while crossing a gulley. The remainder of the hike to the summit is steep class 2/2+ on solid rubble.  It looks like a total pile but really it was quite solid. 

 

 

 

The Babcocks
The Babcocks

 

Centennial
Centennial

 

Lavender & Hesperus
Lavender & Hesperus

 

Diorite
Diorite

 

 

When to Climb

Mount Moss is best climbed in the summer.  CR124 is not plowed in the winter.  Several avalanche chutes exist along CR124 and in Tomahawk Basin.  I imagine though,that under ideal conditions, the back country skiing is epic back there.  

Camping

Paid and free camping along CR124

External Links

Best beta for the La Plata Mountains: Earthline: The American West



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

La Plata MountainsMountains & Rocks