Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.04581°N / 7.89576°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 13211 ft / 4027 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 

Allalinhorn 4027mAllalinhorn West Face by Cyrill

 

Allalinhorn is a famous mountain in the Swiss Alps. There are two main reasons for this fame, the first one being the altitude of 4027 meters, making it one of the 82 mountains above 4000 meters (UIAA-list) in the Alps and therefore a (very) popular objective for climbers. The second reason is the ease of the ascent. Allalinhorn is considered (together with Breithorn) the easiest 4000 meter peak in the Alps. The vicinity of the Mittelallalin top station, which drops climbers off at an altitude of almost 3500 meters, adds to Allalinhorn’s label of an easy mountain. Still, even if considered easy, Allalinhorn is a real alpine climb and should not te be taken lightly. Weather can change rapidly at these high altitudes and the whole climb along the normal route leads through glaciated terrain with large crevasses present throughout the route. It is advised to take a guide if you do not have the proper experience to climb an alpine peak like Allalinhorn.

Allalinhorn is considered as one of the home mountains of the famous ski resort Saas Fee. Its heavily glaciated North face is looming above the village, attracting many hikers and climbers looking for climbing this peak. Many climbers and gatherers of 4000 meter peaks will give you the exact same answer when asked: What was your first 4000 meter peak? The answer will probably be either Breithorn or Allalinhorn.  As a result, especially in the summer period with good weather, the mountain can get crowded. Mountain guides from the Saas valley and beyond organize guided tours up the mountain on a daily routine. The mountain guide Camillo Supersaxo from Saas Fee has climbed Allalinhorn more than a 1000 times. To celebrate the anniversary, Bishop Eldingen said mass on the summit.  Although crowded, Allalinhorn is a beautiful mountain and offers fantastic views. It is located in the heart of the ‘Walliser 4000ers’ and many of them can be seen from the summit:  Weissmies, Monte Rosa, Matterhorn, Breithorn & Dom to name a few.  Allalinhorn has several faces, the North face is heavily glaciated; the south face however, is a near vertical wall with poor rock quality and from the east Allalinhorn does justice to its own name: It looks like a horn (a spire).

 

Allalinhorn from Mittel AllalinNorth Face
Allalinhorn SE-Wall (13211 ft / 4027 m)SE-Face
AllalinhornSW-Face

 

Allalinhorn was first climbed on August 28, 1856. Priest Johann Josef Imseng from Saas-Grund and his servant Franz Josef Andenmatten led the Englishman Edward Levi Ames to the summit. Today’s normal route, the northwest flank, was first climbed on 1. August 1860 by Franz-Josef Andenmatten, together with Sir LeslieStephen, F. W. Short, Frederick William Jacomb, C. Fisher, Moritz Anthamatten, Peter Taugwalder and Johann Kronig. See the History section below for more information.

Besides the heavily ascended Normal route,  which is graded F+ (Facile) and has no real difficulties, there are other, more interesting routes. A good example is the Hohlaubgrat, graded AD, along the East ridge of Allalinhorn. This route involves some mixed climbing and is a good, more challenging alternative to the normal route.  Other, less climbed, and more difficult routes are the North-East ridge (AD+),  the North-East Face (TD) and the South Wall (AD+, IV).  See the ‘’Routes’’ section for more detailed information about the routes on Allalinhorn.

 

Allalinhorn seen at sunrise...N-NW Face
Allalinhorn NE-Face (13211 ft / 4027 m) AlpenglowNE-Face
From shadow to the sunSouth Face

 

Allalinhorn is part of the Mischabel ridge between the Saas Valley in the east and the Mattertal to the west and is part of the Allalin Group together with 3 other, higher peaks:  Alphubel , Strahlhorn and Rimpfischhorn. Allalinhorn is located 7 kilometers southwest of Saas-Fee and is surrounded by four large glaciers : the Fee-glacier to the North , the Hohlaubgletscher to the east, the Allalingletscher to the southeast and the Mellichgletscher to the southwest. There are four ridges that lead to the summit of Allalinhorn, three of them are covered under a thick ice cap with the exception of the East Ridge – mostly referred to as the Hohlaubgrat. Directly west of Allalinhorn are Feekopf (3888m ) and Alphubel (4206 m) separated by the Feejoch (3826m) and Alphubeljoch (3772m). To the south the Allalinpass (3564 m) separates Allalinhorn from Rimpfischhorn (4199m).

Routes

The Allalinhorn as a real...
Allalihorn from Alphubel
There are several routes up to the summit of Allalinhorn. This section gives a short description of the main routes on Allalinhorn. All sections provide a link to the route pages on SP (when available). All difficulties are based on regular conditions (experienced mountaineer, good weather, no icy snow!) as given in the guide. Note that when conditions are sub-optimal the difficulties can increase substantially.
 

I Normal Route

Allalinhorn
Normal Route: follow the crowds
The normal route is the most ascended route on a 4000 meter peak in the Alps together with the normal route on Breithorn. The route starts at the Mittelallalin top station at 3450 meters a.s.l. As a result, climbers only have to deal with an altitude difference of just over 500 vertical meters to reach the summit. Mittelallalin is the top station of the Saas Fee ski facilities and therefore easiliy reached from the valley floor. The normal route is graded F+ and can be considered as a mere walk-up on glaciated terrain. It has to be noted that although technically easy, the route is on high altitude and includdes glaciated terrrain with crevasses present. The normal route is, due to its popularity, very busy in the summer months. In winter it can be busy as well, due to ski-mountaineering ascents. The normal route does not include rock climbing, just a 'walk' on the glaciated North side of Allalinhorn. The normal route ist mostly ascended from Mittelallalin, but also ascents are done from the Britannia-, Tasch- and Langflue mountain huts. Climbing Allalinhorn from Mittelallalin requires half a day. From the other huts most of a day to a full day is required.
 
For more information about this route see the SP Page by member Lodewijk.

II Hohlaubgrat

Allalinhorn- Hohlaubgrat / East Ridge
Hohlaubgrat
The Hohlaubgrat is also referred to as the east ridge route on Allalinhorn. This fine route along the east ridge is mostly a climb along snow and/or ice, but has 2 rock sections in it. These rock sections include climbing in the second grade (UIAA II). The gradation of the route is different according to varying sources: Some guides give a PD+ gradation, others AD- or even AD. I would personally say the gradation is PD+ comparing the route with other climbs. The hohlaubgrat is mostly climbed from the Britannia Hut at just above 3000 meters, since is is situated close to the starting point of this route along the East ridge. After Climbing the Hohlaubgrat, normally climbers descent along the normal route. The hohlaubgrat is a fine alternative to the busy and easy normal route.

For more information about this route see the SP-page by members Fred Spicker and Moni.

III SW-ridge

Allalin route overview
SW Ridge Overview
The Allalinhorn is a popular mountain, especially the normal route from Mittelallalin and the Hohlaubgrat (East ridge). However, quite seldomly people go up the SW ridge, which is considerably longer, and more difficult, than the normal route on Allalinhorn. This route is a nice option from both the Saas Fee as well as the Zermatt valley, as the route can be approached from both sides. It offers very beautiful scenic views on the Mellich glacier and/or Allalin glacier and includes a nice ridge climb on rock and snow towards the summit. The route is graded AD (II) and consists of mixed climbing on both rock and snow.
 
For more information about this route see the SP Page by member marc123.
 

IV NE-ridge

Allalinhorn
North ridge (directly to the right of the rocks)
the NE Ridge of the Allalinhorn offers a short but nice snow/ice climb, and regardless the popularity of the mountain, there is a big chance you will find yourself alone on the route, even on a beautiful day.
The NE-ridge route on Allalinhorn is one of the harder routes to the summit and is graded AD+. The Allalinhorn NE Ridge is most frequently climbed starting from Mittelallin (3450m), but alternatively the Allalinhorn NE Ridge can be approached from Längfluh or the Britanniahütte. The ridge is mostly 40° steep with some steeper parts of 50°.
 
For more information about this route see the SP Page by members frank and il.rocciatore.
 

V Other Routes

Allalinhorn
South Face
NE-face 
TD  (60° to 90°)  This face can be climbed directly but is very difficult and is very rarely climbed. A climb in 1971 involved 4h of effort overcoming the serac barrier by aid climbing on ice screws.
 
S-face
AD (IV), steep ice and bad rock quality, rarely climbed.
 

Getting There

Allalinhorn
Allalinhorn from Saas Fee
The starting point for most routes on Allalinhorn is Saas Fee. From Saas Fee you can access the ski facilities to reach Mittelallalin (start of the Normal route), Längfluh (alternative start for the normal route) and Felskinn (for the Britannia Hut and Hohlaubgrat). The links below provide information about all cableways mentioned. Also see the section ''Mountain Huts'' for more information about the Huts surrounding Allalinhorn and how to get to them from Saas.

How to get to Saas Fee: Click Here

Car parking Saas Fee: Click Here
 
Timetable Cableways: Click Here

Lift Prices: Click Here

Pearls are much sought-after. And the Saas Valley is such a pearl. The Valais village of Saas-Fee, situated at 1800 metres above sealevel, is called the “Pearl of the Alps”. 13 four-thousand-metre peaks protect it like a shell. The snow-covered peaks with the Dom (4545 m) and many others, form a unique backdrop. Or as the famous writer Carl Zuckmayer described it: “You stand at the end of the world and at the same time at its beginning.”
 

The summit

Matterhorn & Dent d'Herens
Matterhorn from the Summit of Allalinhorn

From the summit of Allalinhorn you have fantastic views . In the west the near Rimpfischhorn and Strahlhorn can be seen up close; Also the Monte Rosa, Matterhorn, Weisshorn and Mont Blanc Massif are visible. In the north you can see  Alphubel and the rest of the Mischabel group with Täschhorn and Dom. In the east you can see Mittelallalin, Saas Fee, Fletschhorn, Lagginhorn and Weissmies. Allalinhorn is really surrounded by many of the major peaks in the Alps and therefore offers one of the best views around.

 

         

 

Climbing History

Allalinhorn, old view
Old photo of Allalinhorn

In 1828, Heinrich Michaelis and a guide crossed the Allalin Pass and thereby opened up the route to the south-west ridge. The first ascent of the Allalinhorn via the same ridge only took place 28 years later. On 28 August 1856, the parish priest Johann Josef Imseng from Saas-Grund and his servant Franz Josef Andenmatten led the Englishman Edward Levi Ames to the summit. Today’s normal route, the north-west flank, was first climbed on 1. August 1860 by Franz-Josef Andenmatten, together with Sir Leslie Stephen, F. W. Short, Frederick William Jacomb, C.Fisher, Moritz Anthamatten, Peter Taugwalder and Johann Kronig. The Bernese high school teacher and historian Heinrich Dübi ascended the summit via the difficult north-east ridge on 27 July 1882 with the guides Alphons and Peter Supersaxo, and then descended via the Hohlaubgrat ridge. This represented the first crossing of both ridges. The Hohlaub ridge was conquered as an ascent for the first time five years later, on 12 July 1887, by the Englishmen Harold Ward Topham, C. H. Redall and the guide Aloys Supersaxo. A year earlier, Aloy Supersaxo and the Briton C. A. C. Bowlker were the first to climb the south face, a grade IV climb. The first winter ascent of the Allalin was by the Swiss mountaineer R. Bracken, climbing solo, in 1907. The first ascent on skis was on 17 April of the same year by A. Hurter und Max Stahel, both from Zürich, together with the local mountaineers Othmar and Oskar Supersaxo.

The disclosure of Allalinhorn started as early as 1912, when the construction of the Britannia Hut was completed. In 1938, Berghaus Längfluh opened making it the second mountain hut in the vicinity of the mountain .In 1954 a cable car was built to Spielboden, which was extended to Längfluh (2869m) in 1959. Längfluh is the area between the two tongues of the Fee glacier. In 1969 it was possible to get even closer to the mountain with the construction of the cable car to the Felskinn (2989m). In the 1970s, it was planned to extend the system further to Feekopf (3888m). This project has been denied a license by the Swiss Federal Council.  As an alternative, the Metro Alpin to Mittelallalin (3456m) was built on what is now a summer ski area. In January 2011, the operating company of the mountain railways announced an expansion to the Feejoch (3826m) , from where the summit could be reached in just 45 minutes. This expansion, fortunately, hasn’t been built to this date.

Origin of the Name

Evening view of Almagellerhorn and Saas 4000ers
Almagellerhorn and Allalinhorn

The name Allalin refers to the area to the east of the summit as well as the mountain itself. There is large dispute about the origin of the name though. The emphasis at the end of the word suggests a pre-German origin. On the other hand, the name Allalin led the archaeologist and writer Christian Moritz Engelhardt to his “Saracen hypothesis” in 1840, according to which Saracens in the 10th century left behind a series of names in the Saas valley and as far as the Simplon area. Engelhardt specifies the name as Alalain and traces this back to the Arabicala ain” (at the spring). Another explanation comes from the year 1976. The writer Jules Guex cited a letter from Johann Ulrich Hubschmied, which derived the name Allalin from the Celtic “akarnos” (“maple”). A diminutive, “agarinus”, gradually evolved into “agalin”, which means “small maple” in the Valle Verzasca. This became “ayalin” in the Saas valley, which was not yet Germanised, from which Hubschmied constructed the hybrid form “all’ayalin”, later made into Allalin by the Alemannic settlers. This theory, too, is not widely accepted. Without any historical proof, no definitive explanation exists.

Mountain Huts

There are several Mountain huts surrounding Allalinhorn. The Britannia Hut is located east of Allalinhorn and is mostly used as a starting point for the Hohlaubgrat on Allalinhorn. The Tasch Hut is loacted on the Zermatt side of Allalinhorn and used as base for climbing Alphubel, Rimpfischhorn, Taschhorn and Allalinhorn. One has to climb via the Feechopf to reach the upper part of the normal route to Allalinhorn's summit. The Tasch Hut can be reached from the Matter valley. Berghaus Längfluh used to be the base for climbing Allalinhorn via the normal route ''in the old days''. Since the construction of the ski facilities, including the summit station at Mittelallalin at 3450 meters, Berghaus Langflue is not often used anymore for climbing Allalinhorn. Still, for those who want to climb Allalinhorn from Saas, without using the ski facilities, Berghaus Langfluh is a good option for climbing Allalinhorn along the normal route. Clicking on the name of the Hut in the table below directs you to the official internet page. Also the SP-link is given when available.   
 
Hut                             Elevation Telephone           SP-Link Photo
Brittannia Hut 3030m +41 27 957 22 88 Here     
Britannia hut
Täsch Hut 2701m +41 27 967 39 13
Täsch Hut 2702m
Berghaus Längfluh 2870m +41 27 958 77 00 /
The Längflue hut....

 

Books

There are several books describing one or more climbing routes on Allalinhorn. The ''Hochtouren Westalpen'' by Rother Verlag is a very popular choice. This guidebook includes photos, route descriptions and detailed route maps for many climbs in the Western Alps, including the Hohlaubgrat on Allalinhorn. For me this is the best guide book at this moment. The ''Viertausender der Alpen'' by Dumler is a true classic. It is a 2014 reprint of one of the classic mountain books. The English version is still accessible as ''The high mountains of the Alps''. If you are looking for a smaller format the 4000er tourenfuhrer by Goedeke is a good choice as well. This guidebook has a description on every normal route on a 4000 meter peak in the Alps. If you are planning a ski-touring ascent of Allalinhorn the guidebook ''Walliser Alpen'' by Rother Verlag is the guide to go with. Other recent publications like ''the 4000m peaks of the Alps'' and ''Topo Verlag Walliser Alpen'' are shown below.
 
test
test
testt
PNG
PNG2
testtt

 

Publisher Name Author Year (last Print)  ISBN / EAN
Rother Verlag Hochtouren Westalpen Band I Wolfgang Pusch 2015 9783763330287
Rother Verlag Viertausender der Alpen Helmut Dumler 2014 9783763374311
Rother Verlag The High mountains of the Alps Helmut Dumler 1994 9780898863789
Idea Montagna 4000m peaks of the Alps Marco Romelli 2015 9788897299585
Rother Verlag Walliser Alpen Skitourenfuhrer Daniel Haussinger 2012 9783763359301
Topo Verlag Walliser Alpen Daniel Silbernagel 2016 9783033024311
Bruckmann Verlag 4000er Tourenfuhrer Richard Goedeke 2015 9783765457616

 

 

Maps

There are several good maps for climbing Allalinhorn. However, the only map on a 1:25.000 scale that covers all routes on Allalinhorn  is the Swisstopo map ''1328 Randa''. For Climbing Allalinhorn I would recommend this map. The other 1:25.000 map ''Zermatt - Gornergrat is fine as well, but does not cover the eastern parts of Allalinhorn. The Hohlaubgrat route is only partially on this map.  From the 1:50.000 scale maps both the Kompass map and the ''Matterhorn Mischabel'' map cover the entire area surrounding Allalinhorn.
 

 

testt
1:25.000 Randa
2515 Zermatt Gornergrat
Kompass Zermatt Saas Fee

 

Type Name Scale ISBN / EAN Additional Info.
Schweizer Landeskarte             5006 Matterhorn Michabel  1:50.000 9783302050065
Covers_the entire_area                          
Schweizer Landeskarte 1328 Randa 1:25.000 9783302013282 Covers the entire area
Schweizer Landeskarte 2515 Zermatt Gornergrat 1:25.000 9783302025155 Covers all routes except from the East
Kompass Map 117 Zermatt Saas Fee  1:50.000 9783850269261 Covers the entire area

 

Red Tape

Warning for idiots
No permits required, no closures.
There are parking fees in Saas Fee (see How to get there section).
 
Technical equipment: rope, harness, ice axe, crampons

 

 

 

When To Climb

Classic Swiss view from Kreuzboden
Classic Swiss view from Kreuzboden

Allalinhorn is climbed mostly during the summer months: July, August, September. Especially on the normal route, crowds are no exception. The normal route is often climbed with skis during the winter season.

 

 

 

Camping & Hotels

Saas Fee, Switzerland
Saas Fee
Camping
In the Saas valley there are 3 good options for camping. Camping Mischabel, Camping am Kapellenweg and camping Schonblick. All three are located in the vicinity of Saas Grund in the Saas valley.
 
Hotels

External Links

My climbingpartner above the...
Hohlaubgrat, Allalinhorn
Allalinhorn at www.4000er.de Images, routes, coordinates and more information about the highest peaks of the Alps
Allalinhorn at Camptocamp Description of all major routes on Allalinhorn; Partly in English, mostly French
Allalinhorn at TripAdvisor There even is a Tripadvisor page of Allalinhorn which includes reviews, photos etc.
 
Mountain Guides for Climbing Allalinhorn: Saas Fee Guides in Saas Fee, Active Dreams Weissmies in Saas Grund.
 
Webcam Mittelallalin by Bergfex (360 degrees with Allalinhorn)
Weather Forecast by mountain-forecast.com
 

Weather

Allalinhorn Panorama

Enlarge
 
Monte Rosa & Mischabel Panorama with Allalinhorn at Sunrise

 



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.