Aubineau Peak and Rees Peak

Aubineau Peak and Rees Peak

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.35530°N / 111.6592°W
Additional Information Elevation: 11838 ft / 3608 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Aubineau Peak: 11838
Rees Peak: 11474

Aubineau Peak is an unranked summit north of Humphreys. From US 89 it looks like a peak of its own though. It rises about 220 feet from the saddle. Aubineau is the 4th highest point in AZ but since it's a false peak Doyle Peak is the Fourth highest Mountain in AZ.

Rees Peak is another false peak north of Aubineau Peak. It rises about 195 feet from the saddle of Aubineau Peak.

There are 2 routes up Aubineau Peak:

Route one: Hike to the Peak of Humphreys Peak. Hike down on the north side and continue until you reach the summit.

Route two: Start in Locket Meadow and hike up the blocked off the road that leads into the Inner Basin until you reach a resting area. From there take the road to your right that that heads towards Bear Jaw Canyon. Once you reach the backside of the mountain where the slopes are a bit gentler find a good place to get of the trail start heading up Rees Peak. After you reach Rees Peak hike down Rees and up Aubineau Peak. From the saddle, the climb up Aubineau is about 480 vertical feet climbing through scattered vegetation, gravel slopes and over large rocks.

Getting There

Route one: From Flagstaff take US 180, turn right on the Snow Bowl Rd. Park at the Snow Bowl trail parking lot.

Route two: From Flagstaff head north on US 89 about 14 miles. Turn left directly across from the Sunset Crater Rd. As soon as you get on the forest rd. You will see a sign that tells you which direction Locket Meadow is. I believe you will make a right then at a T you will make a left then there should be a sign down the road that says, "to Locket Meadow." Once in Locket Meadow turn right on the first dirt road you get to; that road will lead you to the trailhead of the Inner Basin Trail. The parking is on the right and the trailhead is on the left next to an outhouse.

Red Tape

none

When To Climb

Summer. Because forest service roads are blocked off in the winter it's pretty much impossible to get to the peak unless you use skies or snowshoes.

Camping

Locket Meadow is a very popular place to camp. No Fee.

Mountain Conditions

Go to the Humphreys peak page.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.