Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.53763°N / 121.13428°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Skagit
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8876 ft / 2705 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Thumbs Up!
Thumbs Up to A Great Climb
Elevation Gain7,000 ft / 2,133 m
Total Distance8 miles / 12.9 km
Time
1-2 days
Eldorado Peak is Located in the North Cascades National Park and is on the Washington Top 100 list. Fred Beckey calls this peak "Queen of the Cascade River" considering that it is in the middle of a collection of beautiful peaks. Massively aloof, perched at the edge of the largest contiguous ice-sheet in the lower 48 states not connected to a volcano, the summit has a Himalayan like splendor owing to its remoteness, position, and knife-edge summit ridge. The total climb encompasses a 6,800 feet of vertical feet (not including ups and downs) and can be made through one of two interesting approaches. The climb is not technically difficult, and a number of people climb up each year to experience the thrill of stamping out a "just-wide-enough" path on the summit ridge and looking into the heart of the Klawatti-Inspiration-McAlister icecap. Views into Marble Creek, Dorado Needle, Forbidden Peak, Mount Buckner, Logan, Johannesburg and the other peaks of the Ptarmigan Traverse. It is an exhilarating summit experience, the ridge gives one a feeling of being out in the true alpine environment. This is a mountain that any mountaineer visiting the Pacific Northwest really should see and climb it!

Eldorado Peak from Marblemount
Eldorado Peak from Marblemount : Photo Taken by Jim Dockery

Eldorado Looking Great
Eldorado's West Face
Dan Smith leading a pitch of...
Climbing the NW Face
Eldorado Approach
Approaching Eldorado
Eldorado Climb
Climbing the Ridge
Eldorado from Logan at Sunset
Sunset over Eldorado

Routes

 
East Ridge Eldorado
Hiking up the East Ridge
 
Debating the route on the...
Climber on the West Arete
 
Eldorado Peak, NW Ice Couloir
Climbing the NW Ice Couloir
 
NE Face Eldorado
Northeast Face of Eldorado
East Ridge: This is considered to be the Standard Route up Eldorado Peak because it has the lesser distance approach, the least amount of work, and is non technical. This route requires glacier travel experience as well as the proper gear for crevasse rescue. This route can be done in a long day push or as a enjoyable two day trip. The cool thing about the East Ridge is that it can be done almost all year round depending on weather, avalanche danger, and whether the Cascade River Road is open all the way to mile marker 20. This is a great route for most alpinist and provides you with some of the best views in the State of Washington.

West Arete: The West Arete is perhaps Eldorado Peak's most spectacular looking face. This climb takes a few days and has a rock climbing difficulty of up to 5.8. The route starts out at mile marker 20 and goes up much of the standard route. At the Eldorado Glacier instead of going up, it traverses around the Eldorado Glacier. It then traverses around Eldorado and the Triad and goes all the way to the bottom of the West Face of Eldorado. Then you start a series of scrambles and climbs up the West Arete. Descend down the East Ridge.

Northwest Ice Couloir: "The Northwest Ice Couloir is an excellent mixed climb leading to the summit of this iconic Cascades peak. Guarded by a long, somewhat complicated approach and situated in the wild Marble Creek Cirque, this aspect boasts stunning views of Dorado Needle and Early Morning Spire. The route has been climbed in late fall, early winter and early spring. When you choose to climb will dictate the character and difficulty of the route." -ExcitableBoy

Northeast Face: "This somewhat contrived route climbs the steep ice face climbers right of the standard East Ridge route and offers a nice alternative for climbers with a bit of ice climbing experience. The route is in best condition in early fall (late September - mid October) before the first snow storms arrive. The climber should expect several pitches of snow and ice to 60 degrees." -ExcitableBoy

Getting There

 
Eldorado Peak in the Morning
Eldorado from the Road
View Easy Directions from google maps to get exact directions from your location.
Getting there from Seattle: Drive North on I-5 until you get to Arlington which you take a right at exit 208 onto highway 530. The highway briefly takes a left in down town Arlington onto highway 9 which a few seconds later be sure to turn right back onto highway 530 east to Darrington. At Darrington where the road pretty much ends you take a left onto highway 530 which goes north. In about 19 miles the highway ends, take a right onto highway 20 towards Marblemount. In about 7.5 you arrive at the city of Marblemount. After passing the last gas station the highway curves, be sure to go strait which goes onto the Cascade River Road. After crossing the bridge the road takes you all the way to the trailhead of Eldorado which is at Mile Marker 20. Keep in mind that the last 10 miles of road is gravel and washes out almost every year at some point. The trailhead itself is on the right hand side and has a decent parking lot with a bathroom.

Eldorado Creek route overlay
Standard Route Overview Map by Steph Abegg

Standard Climbing Route

From the trailhead start out hiking 280 or so feet to the left (West) until you get to a big clearing where you will find a nice big tree fallen over. Use this log to cross the river unless you happen to find another way across that is more to your liking. Be careful, the log is often slippery and may have some ice on it. Thank goodness it's kinda wide, so if you feel uncomfortable you could straddle it (personally I was fine walking it). Go all the way to the end of the log and get off on the right side to avoid bushes and devils club. Keep in mind that this could change some day if the log gets washed away.

Eldorado Peak
Log Crossing in 2008

Locating the trail might be a little difficult depending on your luck. If you encounter the trailhead sign, you are officially on the trail. Now keep in mind for a little while the trail is broken up in some spots at the beginning. Once the trail becomes more solid, it remains decent all the way until you get to the boulder field. This is considered by many to be a steep trail which usually takes people a few hours to head up depending on your pace.

Sunrise on Johannesburg
Johannesburg in the Morning
Looking towards Mount Pugh
Looking towards Mount Pugh
Johannesburg Sunrise
Morning Light on the Mountains
Mount Torment s Twin Summits
Mount Torment's Twin Summits

At around 4,000 feet you meet with the boulder field. This could range from simple boulder hopping to a nightmare of postholing. Conditions and time of year dictate the fate of this. You should now see many cairns that lead you up and slightly right as you go up the mountain. The boulder field ends and switches to a boot path for a little ways. Soon it brings you into another boulder field which goes up and then traverses over more to your right. As before, follow the cairns to show the way. It's easy to loose the cairns but hard to get lost here which above there is a large cliff that as long as you keep this in view as you traverse, you will be fine.

Scrambling up the Boulder Field
Scrambling up the Boulder Field


Sunrise in the mountains
Sunrise over Sahale
The payoff for the rock field
Hiking up the Trail
Sunrise in the mountains
First Light on the Basin
Water Falls near the Basin
Water Falls near the Basin

At the end of the boulder field you will arrive at some small waterfalls around 5,000 feet. From here you should see a trail that goes around the water falls and continues up Eldorado Basin. Views of all sorts of North Cascade peaks start showing up in full view like Mixup Peak, Mount Pugh, Snowking, and many more from the Ptarmigan Traverse area.

Roush Basin with Fresh Snow
Eldorado Basin with Fresh Snow

Eventually you get onto the Eldorado Creek Ridge and look for a appropriate spot to head down into the Roush Basin. There are two ways of doing this. The way I'm familiar with is to go right over where there are rock slabs below where if you look hard enough you can scramble down. The other route is to go up where the ridge steepens and descend left into a class 3 gully. It contains dirt and rock and is approximately 150 feet down into the basin. The gully is marked by a large boulder just below the ridge crest. Make sure your in the right one, or go back and look for the scramble path I mentioned.

Hiking Down to the Eldorado Basin
Hiking Down to the Basin
Ski Carefully Descending
Carefully Descending Down
The Roush Basin
Heading up the Basin
Eldorado Peak with the Moon
Eldorado Fin with the Moon

Approaching the Cliffs near the Glacier
Approaching the Eldorado Glacier

Once your in the basin, start heading up north towards the Eldorado Glacier. In summer finding the edge of the glacier should be obvious, but in winter time it is not so obvious. Look for signs of crevasse to your left and when in doubt, rope up if your unsure if your on the glacier or not. Though most of the year the glacier remains not very crevassed as long as you stay on route. If there is not already a made boot path up, follow some what near the cliff but not too close. Rock and ice do fall from the cliffs daily so be on the watch out while climbing up through this section. Higher up on the glacier there is what I call "The Ice Cliff" which you go left in order to go around it. Soon you go from the Eldorado Glacier to the Inspiration Glacier which it flattens out.

Eldorado Peak Panorama
Inspiration Glacier and Eldorado Peak Panorama, Eldorado Peak is on the left while the route is in the center left

Excited to be heading up Eldorado
Approaching the Inspiration
Skirting Around the Ice Cliff
Going Around the Ice Cliff
Blue Haze over Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak to the South
Point 7733 Above
Point 7733 Above

All around the glacier is flat for quite a ways which means as long as the place is not over crowded, there are many options for camping here. So now cross the mostly flat Inspiration Glacier and head up towards the higher gap on the lower East Ridge of Eldorado. You might have to switch back going up if your going through deeper snow. Once you head through "The Gap" you are officially on the East Ridge. This is a great spot to take a rest and enjoy the views.

Wind Blown Rocks on the Ridge
The East Ridge with Wind Blown Rocks

Heading towards  The Gap
Going through "The Gap"
Heading up the Inspiration Glacier
Hiking up the Inspiration
Klawatti Peak from Eldorado
Klawatti Peak from the Ridge
Moraine Lake Below
Moraine Lake Below

Stay roped up on the East Ridge because you do travel back onto the glacier and there are some potential crevasses on the ridge as well as it being a safety net for the summit knife edge. On the East Ridge you start out going a little ways up onto the glacier until you find a decent ramp that brings you on the crest of the East Ridge. There are a few crevasses that you should watch out for here. Once on the ridge it is very straight forward all the way until you get near the summit. Near the summit be sure to go right in order to get onto the final famous summit knife edge. This is perhaps the most famous knife edge in the state of Washington. Some people come to this mountain just for this part. Sometimes it's wide and super easy, and at other times it looks like a cornice.

The  knife edge
The Wide Summit Ridge during Winter
The knife edge during Spring
Knife Ridge on a Different Year

At first glance it might be very intimidating in looks, but it's more friendly than meets the eye. Crampons are highly recommended if you have not been wearing them already. The climb up the knife edge is absolutely brilliant and gives one the feeling of a true alpine experience. I do admit that this is not for the faint of heart, if exposure scares you, perhaps this isn't the best place to learn. As you get higher on the ridge you do start seeing that on both sides there are huge cliffs. But as long as you kick good steps and plant your ice axe in deep, it should be a exciting experience. Once you make it to the top of the ridge, take a few more steps and your on top of Eldorado! This is an accomplishment.

Eldorado Peak 360 Summit View
Eldorado Peak 360 Summit Panoramic View

Looking Down the Knife Ridge
Looking Down the Ridge
Eldorado Peak s Dramatic Knife Ridge
Normal Conditions of Ridge
Looking North Towards Dorado Needle
Dorado Needle to the North
Beautiful Cornice Below
Looking Down Below
Carefully Climbing on the Summit Ridge
Climbing the Last Few Steps
Black Peak from Eldorado
Black Peak to the East
Forbidden Peak and Buckner
Forbidden Peak and Buckner
Jack Mountain to the North
Jack Mountain to the North

An Incredible View to the East
An Incredible View to the East

Descending

"Getting up is optional, getting down is mandatory" -Ed Viesters
"If the snow is unconsolidated or if it is warm, this can be hell on earth." -Klenke

Descending Eldorado
Descending Down the East Ridge

On the summit you still have unfinished business, the way down can sometimes be a difficult task. First you have the knife edge you have to down climb and after that the East Ridge. You may find yourself having to make haste because of the sun almost setting, snow slides starting up (winter), very cold air, and of course the worst part. The snow turning into ice! What happens is the layer of snow on the glacier freezes over while the snow under the ice layer is still soft. What happens? It can become a posthole nightmare where the slope is slippery making skiing and snowshoeing very difficult, but the inner layer soft enough so that you sink in deep. This makes traveling take hours longer with more effort and sometimes spots where you have to dip yourself out. In summer you probably won't encounter these conditions which you should be happy for this. But when there is heavy snow, expect this and try to get out of the snow before the sun sets.

Sunrise colors on Eldorado Summit Area
Eldorado Peak late in the Day

On the way down the boulder field if you cannot find the cairns and are feeling lost, follow the bottom edge of the boulder field in places which makes it virtually impossible for you to get lost as long as you have a general idea of where to go. Then find the climbers path that goes to the lower boulder field. On the lower boulder field do not go all the way to the bottom because the trail is around 300 feet or so from the bottom which has a mini sign post that indicates the trail. Keep in mind this part of the trip will probably take place in the dark. Now it's just a hour or so away of hiking down the steep trail down to the car. After crossing the log and walking to the trailhead you can say to yourself "Wow, what a Day!"

Red Tape

 
No need to load up the Nalgenes
Plenty of Water in the Basin
 
Inspiration Base Camp
Inspiration Base Camp
 
Marmots
Marmots in the Meadows
 
Purple Flowers
Purple Flowers
 
Tired
Tired from the Climb
 
Ski Heading Out
Heading Out in a Hurry
There are no fees for camping and parking. But for any overnight stay beyond the roads and campground you are required by the National Park Service to get a free permit to protect the wilderness. One can be obtained though most of the ranger stations in the North Cascades, the most common place to obtain one is in Marblemount. For further information on permits check out the info on the NPS Website. Keep in mind that crowds often come during Holidays which increase the chances of impact and difficulty getting a permit for camping.

Also note that while there is "open camping" on the Roush Creek rib at 5400 ft and on the Inspiration / Eldorado Glacier apron at 7500 ft, these are also designated Wilderness Zones and have restrictions on both the number of parties and the number of persons per party.
Other Regulations:
  • Pets are not allowed because Eldorado is in the National Park.

  • The group size limit is 12

  • Respect Wildlife and other Climbers

  • Dispose of Waste Properly

For more info see Leave No Trace from the NPS.

The Marblemount visitor center can be reached at 206-386-4495 ext.11. During the winter months it may be more difficult to contact them over the phone which has been my experience. You can also contact them on the Nation Park Service Website.

Water Sources:
There are some mini waterfalls near Eldorado Basin after the boulder field as well as the upper basin. Perhaps the best place to get water is right below the Eldorado Glacier where water flows out of depending on the time of year and the snow pack. If you have a stove, the glaciers and snow should be plenty for you and your party.

Time It Takes:
This peak be climbed in 1 to 2 days depending on conditions, ambitions, and how much you like camping. Most in shape alpinist can do this peak in a single day, but just because it's a single day doesn't mean it is not a bit of a journey. When I climbed this peak in winter time it took me and my comrades 18 hours with a hard effort. In the fall it took us around 16 hours.

Depending on if you stay the night on the mountain or plan on doing this in a single day plays a roll in your wake up/ start time. If your climbing this peak in summer time and feel like your in great shape, you can leave as late as 6 a.m. in the morning. If there is much fresh snow on the mountain and it's winter time, I would suggest starting between 2-3 a.m. to get as much day light as possible. Plan your wake up time accordingly and make sure you get off the glacier before dark.

Camping

Morning Sun
Camping in the Basin
 
Moonlit night Winter Camp on Eldorado
Inspiration Glacier at Night
There are many great places to camp near and on Eldorado Peak. The first camping place is the trailhead itself as well as other camp spots along the Cascade River Valley. The second one is on the upper part of Eldorado Basin (6,200 ft.) with nice flat areas and great views of Sahale, Johannesburg, and Forbidden Peak. Next camp spot is on the cross over part of the ridge which I've seen people camped here before, this spot has a good view of the Eldorado Glacier and Hidden Lake Peaks. The fourth good camping place is on the Eldorado/Inspiration Glacier which there is enough flat room to have a football stadium. And the last one is on the bottom of the East Ridge located at around 7,800 feet high. Some camp on the ridge, while others camp on the Inspiration Glacier depending on how crowded it was and what views you want for when you open your tent.

A Beautiful Night at Klawatti Camp
A Beautiful Night at Klawatti Camp

When To Climb

A Moment of Pure Joy
A Moment of Pure Joy
 
Eldorado East Face
Eldorado's East Face
The best months for this climb is June though early October. This peak can be pretty much climbed during any month of the year depending on snow levels, avalanche danger, and weather. I've climbed this peak in winter time which was absolutely amazing. Summer has more boulder travel lower down as well as crevasse danger while winter has more deeper snow and possible postholing. So really it's debatable of what exactly is the best month for this peak, but July and August seem to have the best weather. The road being open also plays a role in early season due to heavy snow and possible washouts.

Mountain Conditions

Storm over Eldorado Peak
Storm over Eldorado Peak
 
Inspiration Glacier
Hidden Crevasse on the Ridge

One should climb this peak when weather is good. Not only for safety reasons, but because the views on this mountain are quite spectacular and should not be missed.

For current weather information on Eldorado Peak check in with the Noaa Forecast.

For Avalanche Conditions, check in with the Northwest Avalanche Center. (Limited based on the season)

Check in with the NOCA Website for more information on the current road conditions which it will say for the "Cascade River Road". There is no up to date website for the trail conditions for Eldorado Peak.

Cirrus Clouds over Eldorado Peak
Cirrus Clouds over Eldorado Peak

Gear for the Climb

Ridge shot
Roped up Near the Top

 
beautiful blue ice inside a...
View from inside a Crevasse
 
Stepping up onto the E. Ridge
The Axe Comes in Handy
 
Taking a load off
Getting Ready to Cook
Here is a list of pretty much everything that you will want/need for this climb. Keep in mind, this list only applies to the standard route. Any other route will most likely require more gear and technical training.

Mandatory Gear for the Climb:
  • Ice Axe

  • Crampons

  • Helmet

  • Rope

  • Glacier Rescue Gear (prusiks, carabiners, webbing, ect.)

  • 2 Snow Pickets (for standard glacier travel)

  • Shell Jacket

  • 2-3 Liters of Water Per Person

  • First Aid Kit

  • Glacier Glasses/UV Glasses

  • Full Scale Mountaineering Boots (or plastics if your up to it)

  • Plenty of Food

Recommended Extras:
  • Nylon Shell Pants

  • Sun Screen

  • Map and Compass

  • Long and Short Sleeve Shirt

Overnight Gear:
  • Tent/Bivy

  • Sleeping Bag

  • Ground Pad

  • Water Filter/Tablets

  • Stove, Fuel, Pot, and utensils (for cooking)

Optional Gear:
  • Camera (Highly Recommended)

  • Tooth Brush and Paste

  • Shorts

  • Toilet Paper/Blue Bag

  • Trekking Poles

  • GPS

Topographic Maps

Topographic Map

History

This peak was first climbed in 1933 by Donald Blair, Norval Grigg, Arthur Wilson, Art Winder.

The peak was given the name "Eldorado" during the 1890's as a symbol of hope for riches that could occur from local mining claims, especially the Skagit Queen Mine which was a major mining operation located east of the mountain near Thunder Creek.

Historical Fact About "Eldorado" Name:
"El Dorado" was originally the Spanish name derived for a legendary Muisca tribal chief in northwestern South America. According to legend, "El Dorado" would cover himself with gold dust, and throw gold and jewels into a lake to appease an underwater god. Europeans later associated the name "El Dorado" with the Lost City of Gold. The term "El Dorado" was eventually anglicized to the single word "Eldorado" and many settlers of European descent began using it as a metaphor for any place where wealth could be quickly gathered. Hence, by naming a peak "Eldorado" it provided hope to nearby miners and settlers that riches would soon be found and vast.

Special Thanks to Redwic for getting most of this historical information.

Eldorado, Dorado Needle, Snowfield, Looking North
Eldorado Peak though the Clouds

Sunset and Sunrise Photos

Sunrise over Eldorado Glacier
Sunrise over Eldorado Glacier
Alpenglow on Spire Point
Alpenglow on Spire Point
Eldorado Peak
Sunrise from Eldorado Camp
Winter light on Eldorado (aerial photography)
Evening Light
Alpenglow on Eldorado Peak
Eldorado's South Face
Enjoying a Beautiful Evening in the Mountains
Enjoying a Beautiful Evening
Alpenglow on Magic Mountain and Mixup Peak
Alpenglow on Magic Mountain
Sun Setting over the Traids
Sun Setting over the Traids
Sunset over Hidden Lake Peaks
Hidden Lake Peaks
Oh the Colors on Eldorado Peak
Oh the Colors on Eldorado
Eldorado Sunrise
Sunrise from Down Below
Alpenglow on Johannesburg
Alpenglow on Johannesburg
Sunrise on Eldorado Peak
Sunrise on the East Face
Sahale Alpenglow
Sahale Alpenglow
Sunrise on Eldorado
Sunrise on Eldorado
Eldorado Peak
Sunrise from the Basin
Evening Colors over Eldorado Peak
Evening Colors over Eldorado Peak

Videos



External Links



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

North CascadesMountains & Rocks
 
Washington Top 100Mountains & Rocks