Mount Rundle (west end)

Mount Rundle (west end)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 51.15523°N / 115.51712°W
Additional Information Elevation: 9675 ft / 2949 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt Rundle, Vermillion Lakes

The west end of this peak system with 18 summit points has a very striking slope that is often photographed from Vermilion lakes outside Banff, Alberta. The easiest route is up the back slope. An approx. 8 hour round trip done by many. An excellent conditioning hike.

Height gain 1570 meters

Getting There

Mt. Rundle from the lakes...

To do the west end of this peak start at the parking lot of the Banff Springs Hotel Golf course. Cross the ninth green (watch out for Elk, Elk crap and Golf Balls). Then follow the trail signs up the switch backs to the summit. The trail is an obivous one and in good condition. It becomes more of a scramble once you get above the tree line.

Red Tape

Rundle

Open all season except for Bear activity. The usual trail requirements. Stay on the trail to avoid erosion.

You will need a parks pass which you can purchase at the East gate as you enter via the Trans-Canada.

Rates for Parks Canada as of July 1, 2005:
ENTRY Daily
Adult-$8.90
Senior-$7.65
Youth-$4.45
Family/Group-$17.80
Commercial Group, per person-$6.40
School Groups, per student-$3.95
Annual - National Parks of Canada
Adult-$62.40
Senior-$53.50
Youth-$31.70
Family/Group-$123.80
Includes entry to 27 participating National Parks.
Annual - Discovery Package
Adult- $77.25

BACKCOUNTRY USE AND CAMPING
Per Night

Bryant Creek and Egypt Lake Shelter, per person-$6.90
Per Permit
Overnight, per person-$9.90
Annual, per person-$69.35
Reservation-$11.85
Grazing Permit, per horse, per day-$1.70
Grazing Permit, per horse, per month-$21.75
Valid at Banff, Jasper, Kootenay and Yoho national parks.

Banff National Park

When To Climb

Vertigo on Mount Rundle

All year depending on the weather.
www.weatheroffice.com or (403) 762-2088 for weather reports

Camping

Tunnel Mountain is a good camping area near Banff but this is a day trip.
 

This is what you can expect...

Mountain Conditions

Mount Rundle

Check with the Rangers in Banff. You can sign in and out (probably wise to do so.. but remember to sign out!) Beware of the the weather conditions and dress accordingly. Note there are slate slabs near the summit. If the weather turns these can ice up and people have fallen to there deaths because they went up the slabs in nice weather then the slabs iced up in the snow or rain and made the route very dicy for the decent. Excellent conditioning hike.

Scrambles Book

Mount Rundle
This route and many others are well described in the guidebook Scrambles in the Canadian Rockies by Alan Kane.

The Alpine Club of Canada

Joining a club such as The Alpine Club of Canada is recommended when climbing in Canada. While it is not obligatory, useful information can be had at any of their Clubhouse in Canmore, or at their website which is open to everyone.

http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/

Staying at the club in Canmore is 18$ Canadian for members and 19$ for non-members. It can get quite crowded in the summer so a reservation is recommended.

Banff / Lake Louise

Try this for activities in the area
Banff Lake Louise Tourist Bureau

External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.