Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.17140°N / 115.0497°W
Additional Information Elevation: 9861 ft / 3006 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Alpine Peak is a pyramid-shaped mountain that acts as the backdrop for Alpine Lake in the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho. It is not climbed by very many people. The easiest route is a class 2 or 3 scramble up the southwest side of the peak.

The southwest route is about 12 miles roundtrip with a gain of 3500 feet. See the "Route" section for details.

Views from the top include dozens of other Sawtooth Peaks, several mountain lakes (including Sawtooth Lake at your feet), and the Sawtooth Valley (including the town of Stanley).

The peak is located in the Sawtooth Wilderness area and after leaving Sawtooth Lake, you can expect solitude.

 

 

Getting There


From Stanley, drive 4 miles north/northwest on Idaho 21 and turn left (west) onto the signed Iron Creek road. After 4 miles, the road reaches the developed Iron Creek transfer camp, where parking and information is available.

 

 

Red Tape


No more need for the Rec Pass (thank the lord!). However, at the trailhead, you need to fill out a wilderness use tag (no charge, just a hassle).

When To Climb


Getting to the peak is more difficult until the snow melts off the trail (usually around July 4th). In some low snow years, it can be climbed during June, but expect snow between Alpine and Sawtooth Lakes.

Camping


There is a campground with water and outhouses near the trailhead. I think the fee is around $12 a night. Many people backpack to Sawtooth Lake and use it as a basecamp to hike out of for the weekend.

 

 

Mountain Conditions


The Idaho Outdoors Forum is a good source for conditions information.

The weather forecast for the area can be found here.

You can call the Stanley Ranger Station for information, here is the number:
(208)774-3000

Route Information


Take the trail past Alpine Lake and continue on to Sawtooth Lake (5 miles one-way). The trail is maintained and signed the entire distance. Once a Sawtooth Lake, head south on the trail that runs on the eastern side of the lake. At the south end of Sawtooth Lake, look for a creek coming down Alpine's west slopes. Hike up the hillside to a bench at the base of Alpine. From here, hike up the steep talus slopes to the top of Alpine.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
mtybumpo

mtybumpo - Aug 15, 2004 9:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

The elevation of Alpine peak is actually 9,861 ft. instead of 9,871 ft. as posted on this page.

DrGranola

DrGranola - May 30, 2011 11:48 am - Voted 10/10

Red tape

The permit is no longer needed (has been for a while. Just sign the permit when crossing the SNRA boundary!

IdahoSummits

IdahoSummits - Apr 1, 2014 7:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Red tape

I removed that rec pass info from the "Permits" section. Thanks!

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sawtooth RangeMountains & Rocks