Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.10060°N / 116.8278°W
Additional Information Elevation: 11499 ft / 3505 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt. San Gorgonio, also known as "Old Greyback", is the highest mountain in Southern California. It is a very popular mountain with several trails that lead to the summit. The Fish Creek trail is probably the least used and is aprox. 9.1 miles one-way. The South Fork Trail is over 10 miles one-way. The shortest way to the summit, and the most popular, is the Vivian Creek Trail. It's 7.8 miles (Gary Suttle's book lists it as 8.4 miles) with almost 5,500 feet in elevation gain. Summertime tends to be the most crowded but it is a great mountain to climb anythime of year. I've climbed it many times during winter and have found myself to be the only soul on the mountain. Hard to believe being so close to the Los Angeles/Southern California area.

Regarding San Gorgonio's elevation:
In keeping with the standard (USGS) for determining US elevations, I have posted the height at 11,490 feet. The source is here. The TOPOZONE MAP states an elevation of 11,499 feet shown at the trail's end at the higher summit. The USGS benchmark on the summit reads 11,501.6 feet and is dated 1989. Some publications list the elevation as 11,502 feet.        

These mileages were all recently revised by the USFS and SGWA
(one-way mileages to the top of San G)

Vivian Creek 9.3 miles 5,422' gain

South Fork via Dollar Lake 9.8 miles 4,622' gain

Fish Creek 10.1 miles 3,342' gain

South Fork via Dry Lake 11.34 miles, 4,622' gain

Aspen Grove 12.75 miles, 4,092' gain

Lost Creek Trail via Dry Lake 12.9 miles, 5,182' gain

Momyer 13.2 miles, 6,062' gain

Forsee via Jackstraw 15.18 miles, 4,702' gain

 

Getting There

To the Vivian Creek trailhead: From interstate 10 at Redlands take Highway 38 exit (Orange Street or University Avenue) north several blocks to Hwy 38 and turn right. Drive northeast for about 14 miles to the intersection with Valley of the Falls Road. Go right and continue for 4.5 miles to the Falls Recreation Area, past the town of Forest Falls. Drive to the parking area at the end of the road and walk uphill through the pinic area on the dirt road to reach the trailhead.

There are several other trailheads all of which are located along Highway 38.


 

Red Tape

For day use a permit is required on any of the trails in the San Gorgonio Wilderness. These are free and self-issued. If camping overnite anywhere within the San Gorgonio Wilderness a permit is required. The permits can be obtained at the Ranger Station in Mentone, 34701 Mill Creek Rd. You can also request via fax at (909) 794-1125. The Barton Flats Visitor Center on Hywy 38 and the Fawnskin Ranger Station in Big Bear also can issue these permits. New phone # 909-382-2882

If you want a permit for Vivian for a dayhike on the weekend in the summertime, you must get it 3-4 weeks in advance. South Fork camps such as Dry and Dollar Lakes are also filling several weeks in advance.

If you want to hike during the week, you have a better chance of getting a permit.

Self-issue permits aren't always available - they oftentimes run out, or get stolen. So we recommend getting your permit in advance! Please allow at least 72 hours for processing of permits.

And as a reminder, self-issue permits are only good for that day.

In addition to the wilderness permits an Adventure Pass is required for each vehicle. These can be obtained from any of the ranger stations or from many of the local merchants. According to "tarol" Adventure Passes are now required at only the Vivian, Momyer, and South Fork Trailheads - the other SG Wilderness Trailheads are free.

When To Climb

Year round. Summer months are the most popular for hikers. Great snowshoeing in the Winter.

Camping

Caming is allowed. There are several campgrounds in and around the area and at several of the trailheads. Camping on the mountain or anywhere within the San Gorgonio Wilderness requires a permit that can be obtained from the San Gorgonio Ranger District at 34701 Mill Creek Road in Mentone, CA. Phone is 909-382-2882 or you can request a permit via fax at (909) 794-1125.

Mountain Conditions

contact San Bernardino National Forest, San Gorgonio Ranger District, 34701 Mill Creek Rd., Mentone, CA 92359 909-382-2882 or fax (909) 794-1125.

Current Trail Conditions



External Links

Other Info

Per "Tarol" 6-21-2011

The Vivian Creek route is the most popular, South Fork is #2

If you want a permit for Vivian for a dayhike on the weekend in the summertime, you must get it 3-4 weeks in advance. South Fork camps such as Dry and Dollar Lakes are also filling several weeks in advance.

If you want to hike during the week, you have a better chance of getting a permit.

Self-issue permits aren't always available - they oftentimes run out, or get stolen. So we recommend getting your permit in advance! Please allow at least 72 hours for processing of permits.

And as a reminder, self-issue permits are only good for that day.

Also, Mill Creek RS phone number is now 909-382-2882 and they are closed Tues/Wed.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-20 of 21
12
mdostby

mdostby - Jun 28, 2005 10:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I agree. The Fish Creek Trail is a great route. It's remote trailhead is probibly the only reason it's not as popular as the other routes. Please feel free to add this route to the mountain page.

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Aug 6, 2002 5:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

The Vivian Creek Trail is definitely more than 7.8mi. Gary Suttle's book lists it as 8.4mi. I think some of the switchbacks above High Creek Camp may have been lengthened in recent history to make the route longer.

greg patterson

greg patterson - Jan 22, 2004 4:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-hikers22jan22,1,1003736.story?coll=la-home-local
Hikers Warned to Avoid Icy Risks
Four are dead and two missing in Southland mountains. Despite recent sunshine, 'It's just a sheet of ice up there,' a rescue official says.
By Lance Pugmire and Janet Wilson
Times Staff Writers

January 22, 2004

With four Southland hikers dead since New Year's Day and two more missing, authorities on Wednesday closed a popular Mt. San Gorgonio trail and issued strong warnings to those who choose to hike the region's rugged mountains in treacherous conditions.

"Warning, Extreme Icy Conditions … Do Not Hike Alone," stated fliers handed out with hiking permits in the San Gorgonio district of the San Bernardino National Forest beginning Wednesday. U.S. Forest Service personnel were preparing similar advisories to be given to hikers who buy parking and hiking permits in the San Bernardino, Cleveland, Angeles and Los Padres national forests.

"It's just a sheet of ice up there," said John Amrhein, emergency services coordinator for the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department. "They're going to slip and fall thousands of feet, like these other hikers, if they're not properly prepared. Basically, now would be a nice time to go to the beach."

Amrhein spoke at the command post at the closed Vivian Creek hiking trailhead, where weary search-and-rescue teams fanned out on a foot of fresh snow atop sheer ice, looking for Eugene Kumm, 25, of Seal Beach, missing since he set out alone for San Gorgonio peak Saturday. He had taken ice climbing equipment he'd been given for Christmas, but had never used it before, authorities said.

Heavy cloud cover at higher elevations meant helicopters had to transport rescuers to narrow ravines. The fresh snow overnight could have covered any tracks or other signs of a campsite, but "if he's still moving, we'd be able to see his footprints clearly," Amrhein said.

By late afternoon, with the sun sinking, the search was suspended for another long, cold night.

Amrhein said searchers had seen "not a thing, not a thing."

To the west, along the Pacific Crest Trail, a second team was searching for Ronald Barbour, 69, of La Crescenta, who set out on a combined bike ride and hike Sunday. Searchers planned to be back out this morning looking for both men.

It has been a grim winter for search-and-rescue teams. Four hikers have been found dead in three weeks, none of them novices. Chung Hun "Charles" Koh, 53, of Buena Park left home New Year's Day to hike on Mt. Baldy. His body was found Saturday, nearly 1,000 feet below a spot where a partner thought he had fallen.

Ali Aminian, 51, of Newbury Park was an experienced Sierra Club member who went hiking alone in the same area Jan. 11, while Koh was still missing. Aminian's body was found Jan. 14.

Matthew L. Jones, 15, of San Bernardino tumbled about 400 feet to his death from a steep, burned slope near Devore on Jan. 11.

Kenneth Smith, 66, of Yucaipa died Jan. 5 while ice climbing in the Forest Falls area, not far from where Barbour is missing now.

Even experienced hikers should understand that winter ice hiking requires Alpine mountaineering equipment and skills, authorities said.

Treacherous ice is the common denominator in three of the four deaths, and the disappearances of Kumm and Barbour, said Sgt. Cliff Weston, the San Bernardino County sheriff's search-and-rescue coordinator. Ice covers trails and slopes frequented by hikers, he said.

"Especially on the north-facing slopes, it has remained extremely cold up there," he said. The high-pressure, bright, sunny weather system in recent weeks has created icy conditions with no snow covering it."

That fair weather in the valleys has fooled too many hikers, Weston said.

"Usually, at this time of year, snowfall would keep people out," Weston said. "Sunshine lulls people into a false sense of security. It may be in the 60s and 70s in the valleys, but it's not warm in the mountains. On the mountaintop, the ice continues to stay, and if hikers continue going up there, we're going to continue to have problems."

The icy conditions are the third deadly threat in the mountains, which were ravaged first by fires, then flash floods late last year. The Old fire, which started in San Bernardino, and the deadly flood that ravaged a campground in Devore were blamed for establishing the brittle ground that gave way when Jones fell to his death.

"The vegetation is not strong in burned areas; more rocks are falling than ever before in those areas. There's a clear message being sent to those who go into the burn areas to be aware of your footing," said Ruth Wenstrom, a U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman.

San Bernardino County authorities have rescued at least six other hikers since Jan. 1. Rescuers typically are called out about 90 times a year, but rarely in such close succession.

Both Mt. Baldy and Mt. San Gorgonio are popular peaks year-round with Southland hikers, and receive snowfall above roughly 7,000 feet in winter. Access to San Gorgonio is regularly limited by use of hiking permits, with 25 to 30 people a day allowed in the area at a time. The Vivian Creek trail is an artery used by hikers to reach the peak. It was closed Wednesday both because of hazardous conditions and because rescuers did not want hikers disturbing any footprints or other clues that might have been left by Kumm.

Authorities urged all hikers to travel with a companion, tell a friend or family member of their exact hiking path, stick to it if at all possible, know the weather forecast, dress warmly and understand that there are many mountainous pockets where cellphones don't work. Hikers going above the snow line should carry ice axes and boot spikes and know how to use them.

While searchers said three of the men who died were experienced hikers, Kumm is better described as an outdoors enthusiast, said Cpl. Darren Goodman of the sheriff's search-and-rescue team.

"He was alone and had no map…. He didn't know the area, and he was in ice with [boot spikes] he just got at Christmas," Goodman said. "Everything he has done indicates he was not an experienced hiker. You don't hike alone. That's suicide."

Dan Hendley, a colleague of Kumm's at Kiewit Industries in Long Beach, said he was surprised to learn that his friend had taken on the 11,500-foot-high mountain by himself.

"He usually goes with his girlfriend or a buddy," said Hendley, who lives across the street from Kumm. "He's a pretty smart dude and a great physical man at 6-2, 240 pounds. But I'm worried about him."

Hendley described his friend as always well-prepared for a hike. He said Kumm had hiked to 6,500 feet a week earlier with his girlfriend. And he said he doesn't have any doubt that his friend is still alive.

"I'm assuming, with all the snow, he just got turned around," Henley said. "If he's not hurt, he's on the move somewhere. He's a pretty strong-willed guy."

*


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Times staff writer Dave McKibben contributed to this report.


Jere Vandewalle

Jere Vandewalle - Jun 27, 2005 1:34 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I had the pleasure of hiking the Fish Creek Trail on June 22nd. Other than that the trailhead is a 30 minute drive over a sometimes rough road from the highway, I found little reason this should be the least popular route. The trail design is excellent, with the grade perfectly balanced for ascent and descent. It climbs just fast enough to avoid being frustrating on the ascent, but is gentle enough so as to not be pounding on the descent. The route is blessed with views first of Fish Creek Meadows, then the Ten Thousand Foot Ridge and Grinnell Mountain, and then Dry Lake while traversing Lake Peak. After that you have one of the best and most encouraging views of the summit of any route. Finally, though not as well endowed as the Vivian Creek route, there is water avialable at a few locations. All in all, I found the Fish Creek Trail to be a great way to go.

mdostby

mdostby - Jun 28, 2005 10:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I agree. The Fish Creek Trail is a great route. It's remote trailhead is probibly the only reason it's not as popular as the other routes. Please feel free to add this route to the mountain page.

soliddoctor - Jul 11, 2005 6:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Hiked the South Fork trail to Dry Lake where we camped for the night. Got up early and made our way up the Mineshaft trail. At about 10K feet we began seeing our fist snow obstructing the trail. In several places the trail itself was buried by up to 5 feet of snow making it very slow-going. Once we reached the point where the Mineshaft trail beings it's long series of switchbacks (around 10,500' ) the trail was completely covered, forcing us to go direct - straight up the snow + a bit of rock scrambling up a large scree rock slid.. The snow pack was hard enough to walk on top in some places but we did experience many holes. The finally push to the summit from Sky High trail was relatively easy. The hike back down through Dollar Saddle also had some portions of snow - most notably just before Dry Lake View and directly after Dollar Saddle. Give yourself plenty of time if taking this route as the snow adds much effort.

Eleutheros

Eleutheros - Aug 28, 2006 10:13 pm - Voted 10/10

Source

Just wanted to note your elevation source for 11,490' lists the elevation @ 11,499'. Best, DM

mdostby

mdostby - Aug 29, 2006 3:42 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Source

The correction has been changed. Thanks. Mike

tarol

tarol - Oct 11, 2007 9:53 am - Voted 10/10

Broken link for adventure pass

You might want to use this one instead http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ap/

whitneyhiker09

whitneyhiker09 - Aug 24, 2009 1:19 pm - Hasn't voted

San Gorgonio via Vivian Creek Trail

We hiked to top of San Gorgonio yesterday (8/23/09) via the Vivian Creek trail. The trail descriptions list this route as being 16 miles round trip. This can't be correct. We had a Garmin GPS with us and it showed the total round trip mileage from the parking lot where you first start walking, to the top and back, as being a little over 18 miles round trip! So don't be fooled into thinking you are going for 16 miles. Just no way this is accurate. Hopefully someone will update the trail description with respect to the total miles.

tarol

tarol - Jun 21, 2011 10:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Some corrections...

The Vivian Creek route is the most popular, South Fork is #2 If you want a permit for Vivian for a dayhike on the weekend in the summertime, you must get it 3-4 weeks in advance. South Fork camps such as Dry and Dollar Lakes are also filling several weeks in advance. If you want to hike during the week, you have a better chance of getting a permit. Self-issue permits aren't always available - they oftentimes run out, or get stolen. So we recommend getting your permit in advance! Please allow at least 72 hours for processing of permits. And as a reminder, self-issue permits are only good for that day. Also, Mill Creek RS phone number is now 909-382-2882 and they are closed Tues/Wed.

mdostby

mdostby - Jun 21, 2011 11:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Some corrections...

Thanks and changed.

tarol

tarol - Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm - Voted 10/10

Revised mileages

These mileages were all recently revised by the USFS and SGWA: (one-way mileages to the top of San G) Vivian Creek 9.3 miles 5,422' gain South Fork via Dollar Lake 9.8 miles 4,622' gain Fish Creek 10.1 miles 3,342' gain South Fork via Dry Lake 11.34 miles, 4,622' gain Aspen Grove 12.75 miles, 4,092' gain Lost Creek Trail via Dry Lake 12.9 miles, 5,182' gain Momyer 13.2 miles, 6,062' gain Forsee via Jackstraw 15.18 miles, 4,702' gain

mdostby

mdostby - Apr 6, 2013 12:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Revised mileages

updated

tarol

tarol - Apr 6, 2013 9:12 am - Voted 10/10

Adventure Pass Update

No longer required at all the San Gorgonio Trailheads - only South Fork, Vivian, and Momyer still require it.

mdostby

mdostby - Apr 6, 2013 12:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Adventure Pass Update

updated

Quietline

Quietline - Feb 27, 2015 4:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Backcountry ski partner

I've backcountry skied in Northern Arizona, Utah, and Southern Colorado. I just moved to southern california and want to be back out doing what I love. I would like to ski San Gorgonio. PM me if you are interested.

davidsanger

davidsanger - Jun 24, 2015 6:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Wildfire Closure through 10/1/15

Because of the 18K+ acre Lake Fire (which is still burning as of 6/24/15), a large section of the San Gorgonio Wilderness including all trails to the summit of San Gorgonio Mountain will be CLOSED until October 1, 2015 Here's the closure order: http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/4302/25275/ and here's the map showing the closed area :: http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/CABDF/2015-06-17-1915-Lake-Fire/picts/2015_06_24-16.53.57.084-CDT.pdf

davidsanger

davidsanger - Jul 30, 2015 11:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Vivian Creek trail re-opened

As of July 16th 2015: "US Forest Service officials re-opened portions of the area closed during the Lake Fire today. The areas closed on June 17, as a result of the 31,359 acre Lake Fire. The areas reopened include all campgrounds in the Barton Flats and Heartbar areas, including Jenks Lake picnic area. Included in the re-opening were hiking trails outside of the burned area. “Forsee Creek, San Bernardino Peak, Momyer, and Vivian Creek trailheads offer a great opportunity to create through hikes that include the popular San Bernardino and San Gorgonio peaks,” said Deputy Forest Supervisor John D. Exline. “Visitors can call our Mill Creek Visitor Center (909) 382-2882 and our staff will help plan any enjoyable trip to the forest.”" http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sbnf/news-events/?cid=STELPRD3846020

hassa - May 24, 2016 6:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Momyer -> SG elevation gain

SGWA lists the elevation gain from momyer creek trailhead to SG summit as 6,062'. But having just done it, I definitely went down and up considerably--particularly in the first several miles... I'm guessing an additional few hundred feet at least. Does anybody have accurate GPS or other reading of the actual total elevation gain?

Viewing: 1-20 of 21
12


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

San Bernardino MountainsMountains & Rocks
 
 
The Top 10Mountains & Rocks
 
 
 
California Fifty FinestMountains & Rocks
 
 
 
Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.