Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.12810°N / 73.8575°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4736 ft / 1444 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The tenth highest mountain in the Adirondacks and one that offer the most challenging "climb" in that there are large fixed cables as well as ladders at strategic points on the mountain. I myself had a lovely 20m slide over bare rock one rainy day. So please use them as I do now.

The peak itself can best be described as the most dramatic in the Adirondacks after Marcy and Whiteface. There are at least five areas of open rock surrounding the peak giving it a somewhat alpine look. If it only had a pointy top them it could almost pass as a horn.

It has three distinct summit bumps along its summit ridge the highest being the last. There is also a very distinct cirque between it and the nearby Panther Peak.

There are also a number of great slide and slab climbs around it some even surpassing the YDS 4 range.

There are a number of great routes to the top of the peak all offer great a trip.

Supposedly it has a great view of the other mountains in the Adirondacks I would not know since all four time times I have been up it the weather has been poor.

Because it is more isolated than Marcy and Algonquin there are usually only a few people on top in good weather.

The cables on the trail up Gothics from the col between Gothics and Saddleback.
The cables on the trail up Gothics from the col between Gothics and Saddleback.
Gothic as seen from the Range Trail on Saddleback.
Gothic as seen from the Range Trail on Saddleback.
View of Gothics from Pyramid Peak
View of Gothics from Pyramid Peak
The view from Pyramid, on the way to Gothics: an Adirondack Classic.
The view from Pyramid, on the way to Gothics: an Adirondack Classic.

Getting There

Gothics sits in the middle of the great range so it is accessible from either Adirondack Loj or Keen Valley. Parking is avaiable at both trail heads but the Keen Valley lot is small and fills up quickly.

There is a shuttle bus from Keen Valley airport that has been running over the past few years.

Other options include the parking lot on rt 73 or Roster Comb or an approach from the Ausable Lake side of Gothics.

 

Gothics from Saddleback.
Gothics from Saddleback.
View of Whiteface from Gothics - Heavy amounts of snow on the summit.
View of Whiteface from Gothics - Heavy amounts of snow on the summit.
North Face of Gothics as viewed from the other side of John's Brook, taken from the summit of Yard Mountain.
North Face of Gothics as viewed from the other side of John's Brook, taken from the summit of Yard Mountain.
Low on the north face of the Gothics.
Low on the north face of the Gothics.
The Alfred B Weld trail follows quite a number of 'mini slabs' on its way to the top
The Alfred B Weld trail follows quite a number of 'mini slabs' on its way to the top

Red Tape

Same as for all Adirondack mountians except

As of June 30th, 2001 all parties regardless of size in the Eastern Zone (High Peaks) of the Park must fill in and possess a self-issuing "trip ticket," which may be obtained at the trailhead. People have been fined and turned around for not having one and at the more popular trailheads the Ranger on duty will not let you pass without one. This can cause some delays in getting onto the trail.

When To Climb

Any season is good but can be a rough trip with heavy backpacks and in eary spring high water levels make the trials very wet and slippery. Some trails are also impassable during the spring.

some good links

ADk 46ers
Adirondack Hiking Portal

VIew of Pyramid Peak from shoulder of Gothics.
VIew of Pyramid Peak from shoulder of Gothics.

Camping

Same as for all Adirondack mountians.

1) No Camping above 4,000 feet
2) No camping withing 150 feet of a stream or other water source except at a designated campsite.
3) No soap or washing withing 150 feet of water
4) Pack it in Pack it out is the rule for garbage
5) Only dead and down wood can be used for fires and set in a proper fire pit. ( local etiquette is to use a stove and not a fire)

John Brooks Lodge has a few spaces avaiable during the summer as well as meals, but don't count on getting in.

Adirondack loj also has avialble all year round but is usally always fully booked.

What's in a Name

According to local folklore “Gothics” with is the triple crested arched peaks, slab sides and large areas of exposed rock conjured up thoughts a grand gothic cathedral to Frederic Perkins and Old Mountain Phelps as they sat looking at it from Mount Marcy one summer day in 1857. Recent evidence suggests that the name was used in a poem written by a minister as early as 1850.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
skiing311

skiing311 - Sep 5, 2002 3:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

The view from Gothics is spectacular; however, the view from Pyramid is even better. This unique angle perches the climber atop the massive basin in front of, obviously, Basin Mountain. Marcy rises directly behind Basin, Haystack is to Basin's left, and Saddleback is to its right. Pyramid also has a stunning view of Gothics South-facing slide. From Gothics' true summit, you can see all the peaks mentioned, but you cannot see the whole mountains like you can from Pyramid. This is because Gothics' summit is on the North side of Saddleback, whereas Pyramid forms the Eastern side of the basin in front of Basin. From Gothics' true summit, however, there is a better view to the North (where Pyramid has none) and a clearer view of the MacIntyre range in the West.

skiing311

skiing311 - Sep 30, 2002 10:43 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I climbed Gothics for a third time during the last weekend of September. I climbed it from Lower Ausable Lake via Pyramid again, but I added a little twist this time. Instead of heading to the main summit right away, I went over to the west summit after climbing up from Pyramid. I enjoyed the view from the west summit even better than Gothics' true summit. Basically, I thought it was better because you're simply closer to the highest peaks (Basin, Haystack, Marcy, etc.). In addition, the view down to the col between Saddleback and Gothics is pretty awesome (and quite steep) and the view of Gothics itself is great. I'm not sure if it's a better view than Pyramid, but I was impressed! And it's a nice short walk from the junction, so it doesn't require much extra effort.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Great RangeMountains & Rocks
 
AdirondacksMountains & Rocks
 
Northeast Alpine PeaksMountains & Rocks