Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.13690°N / 73.9986°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4840 ft / 1475 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The eighth highest peak in the Adirondack range and the second highest without a defined trail.

Its rocky summit offers a magnificant view of Indian Pass and Wallface and is easily reached by a well defined heard-path which starts about .4mi (600m) below the summit on the Colden to Algonquin (Trail 71)

The trail runs for about 2.5km first past the highest bog in the eastern US up and over the summit of Boundry peak then a steep climb up to the exposed top.

There are never many people on it since there is no offical trail but one has to transit the the more popular trails to get to it.

Because it is very exposed (just open not steep) and seldom visited, in winter one should be well prepared for any travel to this peak.

Getting There

There are numorous ways to get to the peak each offer great hikeing and some mountainering in winter.

The main route is from Adirondack Loj up 1mi (1.6k) trail 61 to the Algonquin trail. Then up and over Algonquin Peak (6.4 km) to the unmarked trail that starts just before the marked trail begins to desend..

Can also be reached from the opposit direction from Lake Colden.

A direct assent (off trail) sould not be attempted only to preserve the very fragile alpine enviornment that surronds the peak.


Red Tape

No permits as of yet but one has to pay for parking at the Loj and make sure you sign in and out of the trail log. As well large groups 10+ will require a permit.

Due to high volume on the approach trails please tread softly and use a camp stove instead of firewood.

As of June 30th, 2001 all parties regardless of size in the Eastern Zone (High Peaks) of the Park must fill in and possess a self-issuing "trip ticket," which may be obtained at the trailhead. People have been fined and turned around for not having one and at the more popular trailheads the Ranger on duty will not let you pass without one. This can cause some delays in getting onto the trail.


When To Climb

Any time of year is good, but like all high peaks, be prepared for severe weather changes at any time of the year.

It is very exposed in winter and seldom visited which makes this a most challenging winter assent.

some good links

ADk 46ers
Adirondack Hiking Portal

Camping

General rules for the Adirondacks

1) No Camping above 4,000 feet
2) No camping withing 150 feet of a stream or other water source except at a designated campsite.
3) No soap or washing withing 150 feet of water
4) Pack it in Pack it out is the rule for garbage
5) Only dead and down wood can be used for fires and set in a proper fire pit. ( local etiquette is to use a stove and not a fire)


Whats in a Name

Traditional folklore states that Boundary Peak marked the border between Algonquin and Iroquois nations hence the name for all three peaks.

Colvin, was most likely unaware of this lore, because he first named the peak “Clinton”, after a New York politician. At a later date he heard of this tale and so moved the name of “Clinton” from this peak to the peak we now call "Marshal" so that he could rename it to Iroquois which made his name for Algonquin seem much more logical.

The real source for the name of Boundary Peak is most likely the fact that it marked the southern boundary of the 1797 military survey. The head of this survey Charles Brodhead made claim of being the first to ascend the peak.

Ebenezer Emmons is also credited with the first assent in 1837.

It is know from artifacts found in the general area that first nation peoples must of climbed it many eons before these dates.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Mountain Bill

Mountain Bill - Nov 9, 2003 2:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

We climbed Iroquois peak from camping out at avalance pass. The trails were somewhat icy and crampons were required getting near the summit. Full summit gear was required at the top due to harsh conditions. The path going down from Iroquois twards Mt. Marshall was very hard to stay on and very tight in areas with alot of fallen brush.

evilproofer

evilproofer - Sep 6, 2005 6:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

This may be new, judging from Steltech's photo: As you go over the summit of Algonquin and head down the other side toward Iroquois, the Iroquois turnoff is a right at the sign saying "Foot Path" and pointing left. The sign refers to those descending the MacIntyre's toward Lake Colden, but what you want is the shy-looking trail bearing right. About 10 yards after bearing right, you'll see a marker "Iroquois Path" and the rest of the trip is clear.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

MacIntyre RangeMountains & Rocks
 
AdirondacksMountains & Rocks
 
Northeast Alpine PeaksMountains & Rocks