Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.15170°N / 73.9806°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4580 ft / 1396 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The sixteenth highest in the Adirondacks and one that offers great views of its larger neighbor Algonquin. A simple scramble over open rock to the top which is rather flat and unimpressive. Interesting variations on the standard route is to climb up the large open slide areas on the north side of the peak. Please note that the top of this route is covered with the densest bush imaginable so the first three quarters of the trip will take about 1 hour where the last quarter may take you 3.

One should also visit the plaque that commemorates the four airmen who’s B-47 bomber that crashed there in 1962. It can be found on a large vertical rock face just north of the summit. Large chunks of the plane are still littered about along with numerous bits and pieces despite the best efforts of souvenir hunters.


Getting There


The simple 500 m trail to the top can only be reached by taking the trail from Adirondack Loj to Algonquin. At about 3.1 miles the trail to Wright is a well-marked junction to the left.

The north slab climbs are reached by cutting in from the Algonquin at about 2 miles.

Normally, only a few people on the top, most people only stay a few minuets to rubberneck at the crowds on Algonquin and then scurry back down the trail and join them there.

Makes for a nice 1 hour side trip when going up or down Algonquin.

Red Tape


Normal Adirondack restrictions.

As of June 30th, 2001 all parties regardless of size in the Eastern Zone (High Peaks) of the Park must fill in and possess a self-issuing "trip ticket," which may be obtained at the trailhead. People have been fined and turned around for not having one and at the more popular trailheads the Ranger on duty will not let you pass without one. This can cause some delays in getting onto the trail.

When To Climb


Any time of year.

Some good sites:

ADk 46ers
Adirondack Hiking Portal

Camping


Normal Adirondack restrictions.

1) No Camping above 4,000 feet
2) No camping withing 150 feet of a stream or other water source except at a designated campsite.
3) No soap or washing withing 150 feet of water
4) Pack it in Pack it out is the rule for garbage
5) Only dead and down wood can be used for fires and set in a proper fire pit. ( local etiquette is to use a stove and not a fire)

What's in a name


Named after the 19th century New York Governor Silas Wright it is the most northerly in the MacIntyre Range. Most likely first climbed in 1797 by Charles Brodhead and his crew but Ebenezer Emmons also made this claim in 1837. The first nations people most likely climbed this peak eons before this.


Avalance Danger


In mid-February 2000, one skier was killed and several others were injured, one critically in an avalanche they caused while they were attempting to telemark down the new slide on Wright caused by Hurricane Floyd.

As there is no vegetation or even soil of any kind to hold the snowpack in place on this slide so the avalanche danger is very high. Even though the skiers, were very experienced and were warned both verbally by passers by and park ranges and by signs posted at numerous trailheads they still attempted it and came to grief. Fortunately the DEC was aware their attempt so the rescue and recovery was carried out very quickly saving the life of the critically injured skier.

Be warned that this and the other slides caused by Floyd are still very unstable in any season and should not be attempted.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Rob A

Rob A - Jan 4, 2005 12:52 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

1-4-05 starting soon (not sure when) you will need a bear canasiter to camp over night in the adk high peaks wilderness.

Rob A

Rob A - Jan 4, 2005 12:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

see what i put in for red tape section regarding bear canisters

Rob A

Rob A - Jul 4, 2005 7:52 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

If my memorie serves me right from the col of Algonquin and Wright the trip to wright only took less then 1/2 hour. there is a well defined trail.
Later,
Rob

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

MacIntyre RangeMountains & Rocks
 
AdirondacksMountains & Rocks
 
Northeast Alpine PeaksMountains & Rocks