Lower Wolf Jaw Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.14830°N / 73.8331°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4175 ft / 1273 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The thirtieth highest peak in the Adirondacks, the first 4000er in the great range, or last depending which way you go and the slightly lower and more dramatic of the Wolf Jaw pair. It is almost fully tree covered but there are a few spots around the summit that one can have a view of the surrounding valleys and mountains.

The Peak is rater flat on top but still a good hike. There is only one approach trail but it is a simple but steep walk from each direction.

It can either be reached by a hour or so side trip from the Upper Wolf Jaw trail or directly from the Roster Comb parking lot in i73.

There are a number of other choices for trails to the summit trail most of these start in the St Huberts area.

Getting There


The parking lot at Keen valley at the John’s Brook trail head is the usual starting point. An alternate start is the Rooster Comb parking lot on i73 where you can the new trail that links to the trail that traverses Lower Wolf Jaw and the Upper.

You can also reach it from the trail heads in the St Huberts area.

Red Tape


Normal restictions apply

Just watch out for parking in Keen Valley. The lot fills quickly and there is no parking allowed in the street. Your car will be towed. In the summer there is a shuttle bus from Keen Valley airport to the trailhead.

You best bet is the Rooster Comb lot on Rt.73

As of June 30th, 2001 all parties regardless of size in the Eastern Zone (High Peaks) of the Park must fill in and possess a self-issuing "trip ticket," which may be obtained at the trailhead. People have been fined and turned around for not having one and at the more popular trailheads the Ranger on duty will not let you pass without one. This can cause some delays in getting onto the trail.

When To Climb


Any season is good.

But it is a long walk in from Keen Valley so day trippers should be prepared to stay the night if the weather turns bad.

A simple day trip should start from the Roster Comb lot on I73

Mountain Conditions


Some good sites:

ADk 46ers
Adirondack Hiking Portal


Whats in a Name


The peak or better the pair of peaks (Lower & Upper Wolf Jaw) were named in sometime in 1869-72 when Alexander Wyant, a well known artist of the time, painted the peaks and stated the deep col between the two suggested a great pair of Wolf Jaws.

Camping


Normal Adirondack restrictions.

1) No Camping above 4,000 feet
2) No camping withing 150 feet of a stream or other water source except at a designated campsite.
3) No soap or washing withing 150 feet of water
4) Pack it in Pack it out is the rule for garbage
5) Only dead and down wood can be used for fires and set in a proper fire pit. ( local etiquette is to use a stove and not a fire)



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.