Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.23530°N / 73.7111°W
Additional Information Elevation: 3694 ft / 1126 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Not one of the highest but one of the finest climbs in the area. It is one of the lowest bald peaks in the area, the tree line at about 3450ft at the main trail junction. It also offers great views of most of the lower great range.

The peak is one that offers some nice climbing near the top and an interesting walk through some very large blowdowns and virgin forests.

Most likely the most popular of the smaller peaks after Rooster Comb but is never as crowed as Marcy or Algonquin.

This is a great peak for people with younger kids since the summit has no dangerous cliffs or other pitfalls.

There is, or was 1999 last time I saw it, a fire tower on the top of the summit. It was most likely put up there by the US Army's Conservation Corps in the 1930s. This was intereseting make work organiztion from the depression era that did a great deal of conservation aka reforestation, trail making etc. Many US national forests were planted by this organization and much of the present trees in the Adorondacks were planted by them.

Since the tower has been there well over 60 years and the view is no better from the top please do not be tempted to try get up it. You will most likely come to grief.

Hurricane, gets its name for good reason, so do be prepared for severe weather and wind at all times. Fortunately, one can get off the exposed peak quickly to a well protected notch if need be.

Getting There


The main trail leads from a good and well marked parking lot on Route 9 North.

Another trail leads from the end of O’Toole rd. one being alowed to park at Crow Clearing, but watch out, parking regulations are in flux right now so ask a local where is a safe place to park.

This approach is an excellent overnight trip for first time campers or people with small children since there is a seldom used lean-to about half way there next to Gulf Brook.

For 4x4 lovers you can approach from the east up the old fire tower road but you may no longer may be able to get very far as the road has not been maintained for many years and is very steep. To top it off the short trail from the old fire-watchers cabin is very steep and usually quite wet.

Red Tape


Normal restrictions apply.

Watch out for parking when approaching along trail 106.

When To Climb


Any season is good but I like the winter ascent best.

One can get some very interesting snow conditions here with great trees being totally immured in snow and a large snow cone forming on the top of the mountain. Crampons are sometimes required to make it to the peak.


Camping


Normal Adirondack restrictions.

1) No Camping above 4,000 feet
2) No camping withing 150 feet of a stream or other water source except at a designated campsite.
3) No soap or washing withing 150 feet of water
4) Pack it in Pack it out is the rule for garbage
5) Only dead and down wood can be used for fires and set in a proper fire pit. ( local etiquette is to use a stove and not a fire)

Mountain Conditions


Some good sites:

ADk 46ers
Adirondack Hiking Portal

What's In a Name


When one gets to the top of the mountain one will know why they call it Hurricane. It is always blowing on top hence the lowest tree-line in the area and the great snow conditions in the winter.

External Links