Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.15780°N / 74.1725°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4120 ft / 1256 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The thirty-fourth highest peak in the Adirondacks, Seymour is often mistakenly grouped within the Seward range. If truth were known it is not part of that range at all. A range usually describes a grouping of mountains along a generally strait line hence the MacIntyre, Great and Seward range while Seymour is close to the Seward range it is off the line and hence not part of it.

Like its neighbours in the Seward range it to has a much dryer micro-climate than the rest of the High Peaks so anyone hiking in the area should be aware of the fact that one has to bring one’s own water source to the area.

Most likely in the summer of 2002 this peak and the peaks in the Seward range will be the next areas to have trail work done by the 46ers. At this time I do not think they are going to change the trail all that much just clean it up a bit and make it a little more stable but we will see what the summer of 2002 brings.

Seymour is quite remote and its remoteness also means that the majority of the heard paths in the area are in good shape since they are well defined but see much less traffic than the maintained trails do.

The normal route to Seymour follows the same approach to Seward and that is to approach from the W and hike into any one of the many camping or lean-tos sites that are found along the Ward Brook Truck Trail. One can also come from the SE from Duck Hole.

The unmarked trail to Seymour begins much further down the Ward Brook Truck Trail than the start for Seward. A cairn about 0.1 SE of the Ward Brook Lean-tos marks the beginning of the trail. It basically ascends a small brook about half way up the mountain until one comes to a slide. The normal heard path is along the right hand side of this slide I myself like going on the slide but it is not for the faint of heart. The trail becomes quite steep but eventually levels out a bit when it hits the summit ridge. At the summit ridge head to SW and thence the summit.

There area actually some very good views for this peak and the especially the small promontory near the summit. One gets of good view of the three peaks of the Seward range as well as a good look at the peaks in the Santanoni Mountains.

As one is getting into quite remote wilderness one should come well prepared and have a good knowledge of backcountry map and compass navigation.

Normally trips to this area are a three-day affair with the first day the hike in, the second the trip to the Seward range and the last day the trip up Seymour and then back down and home. One can do all four in a day but it will be a very long day 12-15 hours across dry rugged terrain.

Trying to bushwhack directly from Seward to Seymour is unadvisable because of the many blowdowns from Hurricane Floyd and a number of short but nasty cliffs on the SE side of Seward. Most likely it will take you longer than backtracking back down and then up again.

Getting There


Check out the entry for Santanoni for detiled directions to the trailheads for Duck Hole Trail or the Coreys/Ward Brook Truck Trail.

Red Tape


The frist part of both the Upper Works trail and the Duck Hole trail are on private land as well, the Ward Brook trail skirts along private land (you will see many many sings pointing this out) please observe these simple rules

1) No camping, fishing or hunting
2) No off-trail travel including rock climbing or bushwhacking, or use of non public trail
3) No boating or swimming, including portable boats brought by the public
4) NO DOGS or other pets are permitted unless on a leash

The Seward Range and all of the Adirondacks for that matter, has a big game hunting season that starts on the next to last Saturday in October and lasts until the first Sunday in December. Do have on bright coloured clothing and do not be alarmed is you hear shots, or men (99.999999% of the time it is a guy but I supose that there are some women hunters out there too) with guns.


When To Climb


I like this trail best in early fall late summer after the leaves have fallen one can really see the other mountains and the isolation and remoteness of the area comes though.

Remember in summer to bring lots of water.

Camping


Same as for all Adirondack mountians.
1) No Camping above 4,000 feet
2) No camping withing 150 feet of a stream or other water source except at a designated campsite.
3) No soap or washing withing 150 feet of water
4) Pack it in Pack it out is the rule for garbage
5) Only dead and down wood can be used for fires and set in a proper fire pit. ( local etiquette is to use a stove and not a fire)


Mountain Conditions


some good links

ADk 46ers
Adirondack Hiking Portal

Whats in a Name


The Peak is again named after another long dead and forgotten New York Governor Horatio Seymour.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

sporter33 - Sep 14, 2005 2:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Went up seymour on Teusday Sept. 13 2005. Thought we would try the slide route, but quickly rejoined the heard trail as the wet rocks were very difficult to stand on much less climb. Heard trail was steep but in very good condition.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.