Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.13780°N / 74.0369°W
Additional Information Elevation: 3700 ft / 1128 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Wallface is known much less as a mountain, and much more for it's cliff. The summits is trailess, and coverd in scrub and trees. But Wallface is the state's largest cliff, rising over 600' feet above Indian Pass in some places. The cliff is remote, and sees little traffic, but the climbing possiblites are endless.

Routes on Wallface are commiting and dangerous. Every route is filled with broken rock, and falls would be deadly. To the best of my knowledges, 3 out of the 4 climbing fatalities in Adirondack Park have occured at Wallface.

Getting There


All aproaches to Wallface are long, and fairly remote. The best two leave from the Upper Works and from the Adirondack Lodge.

If heading in from the Upper Works -

The Upper Works contains a ghost town and an abandoned mine. It is located 9.5 miles from Route 28N. To get there, travel east fron Newcomb for about 5 miles, and then turn left at a sign for the High Peaks. Then make another left at the sign for the National Lead Company mine. Several miles up the road, the road dead-ends and the trailhead is reached.

Once you arrive at the trail head, head up the trail, following signs for Indian Pass. The bottom of the pass is reached in about 4 miles. For a detailed description, click on the books section and buy the Guide to Adirondack Trails - High Peaks Region.

If heading in from the ADK Loj -

The loj is reached by turning off Route 73 in North Elba. Once at the Loj, follow the trail that goes around the north side of Heart Lake, and then follow the generaly southward leading trail towards Indian Pass, which is reached in about 6 miles.

For a detailed description, click on the books section and buy the Guide to Adirondack Trails - High Peaks Region.

Red Tape


Rules when on State Land:

1. Group Size
- Overnight groups are limited to no more than 8 people.
- Day Use Groups are limited to no more than 15 people.
2. Trip Tickets
- All groups must have a self-issued trip ticket, available at any trail-
head
3. Camping
- No camping above 4,000 ft.
- Camping between 3,500 and 4,000 ft. is limited to designated
sites only.
4. Campfires
- NO campfires are allowed
5. Pets
ALL pets MUST be leashed when:
- On Trails
- At Campsites
- At Lean-To's
- Above 4,000 Feet
6. Winter
- Skis or snowshoes must be used when the terrain is covered with
eight or more inches of snow.

When To Climb


Rock climbing is best done in the late Spring, Summer, and early Fall months. Be warned, if you attempt to climb in the late spring, the trails may be still quite wet.

Camping


State Camping Rules:
- No camping above 4,000 ft.
- Camping between 3,500 and 4,000 ft. is limited to designated
sites only.

Lean-to's:
- First come first serve.
- Capacity of about 7.
- State Regulations Regarding Lean-to's:
- No plastic may be used to close off the front of a shelter.
- No nails or other permanent fastener may be used to affix
a tarp in a lean-to, but it is permissible to use rope to tie
canvas or nylon tarps across the front.
- No tent may be pitched inside a lean-to.

Lean-to's and campsites in the Wallface Area -

- Henderson Lean-To, on Indian Pass Trail 1.8 miles from the Upper Works.
- Wallface Lean-To, on Indian Pass Trail 2.8 miles from the Upper Works.
- Scott Clearing, on the Indian Pass Trail 4 miles from Heart Lake.
- Rocky Falls, off the Indian Pass Trail 2.5 miles from Heart Lake.

Mountain Conditions


DEC Posted Trail Conditions - http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dlf/publands/adktrails.html

Public Posted Trail Conditions -
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dlf/publands/adktrails.html

Routes


There are almost 20 routes, many of them hard, long, and rarely climbed. For detailed descriptions, please read Climbing in the Adirondacks by Don Mellor.

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.