Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.18690°N / 71.6114°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4500 ft / 1372 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt. Garfield



Mt. Garfield, located just miles east northeast of Mt. Lafayette and Franconia Ridge in New Hampshire's White Mountains is the 14th highest among the four thousand foot peaks in the White Mountains. What makes this mountain stand out from many of the other White Mountains is 1) the relative ease of the hike to the top via the Garfield Trail (class 1) from Gale River Loop Road (off Route 3), and 2) the grand view from the from the top looking at the Pemigwasset Wilderness towards the south.

the view from Mt. Garfield to..



Mt. Garfield can also be approached by the west from Mt. Lafayette (distance from Mt. Lafayette is 3.5 miles) and the east from the Galehead Hut via the Garfield Ridge Trail as a multiple day and multiple summit hike. The Garfield Ridge Trail is though especially from the west can be a steep and rocky climb.

Mt Garfield as seen from Mt...



The Garfield Ridge Trail at the time it summits Mt. Garfield is considered park of the Appalachian Trail link from Georgia to Maine.

The most popular route to get to the top is hike the easy (class 1) Garfield Trail (4.8 miles) to it T-junction with the Garfield Ridge Trail (0.2 miles) which is a steep climb and at parts easy scramble to the summit. The Garfield Trail is well-known for it's relative ease to dayhikers due to the fact that it follows old fire roads and tractor road to the top. Though the hike is ten miles, a hardy hiker and summit Mt. Garfield in four to six hours due to the ease of The Garfield Trail.

Getting There

A fox on the Garfield trail - 1/10/2009



GARFIELD TRAIL 4.8 miles one way
TRAILHEAD ELEVATION: 1500'
GARFIELD RIDGE TRAIL 0.2 miles one way (Scramble)
TRAIL INTERSECTION ELEVATION: 4180'
10 miles round trip


Take I-93 north to exit 36, Route 3 toward Twin Mountain. Stay on Route 3 until you see a sign for Gale River dirt road on your right just before the Gale River. If you pass the first intersection there is another road intersection across the Gale River which is better marked. (Gale River Road is closed for snowmobile travel in winter but is usually a plowed section off of Route 3 where hikers can enter). Take Gale River Road to the Garfield Trail parking area (fee).


Red Tape

Gale River Road is closed in winter. Fee at parking area.

Weather Conditions

Here is a link to a weather forecast for Higher Summits of the White Mountains .

This is another link to the weather forecast on the Mt. Washington Valley.

When To Climb

Mt. Garfield is best hiked during the late summer and early fall after the black fly season and before Gale River Road is closed. Because of the relative ease until the very end Mt. Garfield also attracts some winter hikers and snowshoes but the winter hike goes up from 10 miles to 12.3 miles, the bulk still being relatively easy. To prevent trail erosion avoid this and other of the higher peaks of the White Mountains due to mud season. June is a decent time to hike this mountain but wear serious bug repellent due to black fly season.

 

 

Camping

The Garfield Ridge Campsite which is maintained and staffed by the AMC is located just 0.4 miles east if the summit of Mt. Garfield. Campsites have a charge in during the summer and fall seasons.

AMC Garfield Campsite

Mountain Conditions

Here are two websites that will provided you the best information on conditions in the White Mountains.


Appalachian Mountain Club

Current Trail Conditions

Summit Picture Log

Post your summit mugshot here.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Archangl

Archangl - Jun 19, 2002 10:56 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

The Garfield Ridge Tentsite is currently being redone and the new tent platforms are quite nice. The tentsite also has a shelter and a compost toilet. A spring about 200 yards from the main site has excellent water which does not require treatment or filtration (our party drank the water untreated in June 2002 without any problems). Although the site is sometimes crowded on summer weekends, there is over flow camping approximately one mile west at Garfield pond. The main site charges $8 per person per night during the summer months. There is no charge for the use of the overflow area at Garfield pond.

nartreb

nartreb - May 24, 2005 1:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

A further note about the Garfield campsite: it's located very close to treeline and the platforms are exposed to north winds. In winter you will want to set your tent inside the shelter.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

White Mountains (NH/ME)Mountains & Rocks
 
Twin & Franconia RangesMountains & Rocks
 
 
Northeast Alpine PeaksMountains & Rocks