Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.60700°N / 73.534°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2665 ft / 812 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Black Mountain, at 2,665 feet, is the highest peak in the two ranges of mountains that shelter Lake George. It lies about halfway along the lake's eastern shore, along with Buck Mt.. The views from the summit are more than proportional to its height.

One of the trails to its summit rises steeply from the shore of Lake George, but it is accessible only by water. Your route on Black Mountain is a loop that requires a bit less climbing, but it still traverses part of the reputedly more handsome trail from the lake. This loop also allows you to visit a series of charming ponds that lie south and east of the summit.

There is a fire tower on Black Mountain, and although you might appreciate climbing it to identify distant mountains, Black's summit is mostly open rock, so overlooks in every direction can be found at ground level.

Lake George is also a very popular fishing spot in the notheast.

--------

Getting There

From the north and west, take exit 28 off the Adirondack Northway (I-87) to NY 74, and follow that route east to NY 22 at Ticonderoga. Head south on NY 22 to Clemons. From the south, take NY 149 to Fort Ann and turn north on NY 22/US 4. At Whitehall stay north on NY 22 to Clemons. This latter route takes you on a beautiful drive through the Champlain Valley and across the South Bay of Lake Champlain above Whitehall. At Clemons, drive 2.6 miles west toward Huletts Landing on County Road 6, and then bear south (left) on Pike Brook Road for 0.8 mile to the trailhead. You will have views of Black Mountain as well as Knob Hill and Sugarloaf, two unusual small mountains whose distinctive shapes you will be able to identify again clearly from Black's summit.

Signs at the trailhead indicate that the Black Mountain Fire Tower is 2.8 miles away, and that the Lapland Pond Lean-to, which you pass on your return leg, is 2.5 miles distant.Red TapeThere is a parking fee.Since one of the trails starts from the water here are boating regulations. Taken from the Lake George Park Commision flier.Most boats require registration to use Lake George. Speed Limits- 6 A.M. - 9 P.M. :45 MPH 9 P.M. - 6 A.M.:25 MPH Some areas have a 5 MPH rule. Be careful. Noise limits: No vessel can exceed a sound level of 86 dbA at 50 ft. and 80 dbA at 100 ft.Special regulations apply to Personal Water Craft (wave runners)

Contact the LGPC for more info.No dumping of anything into the lake because it is the water source for the towns that surround the lake.

This list is incomplete contact the LGPC for more info :P.O. Box 749Fort George Rd.Lake George, NY128451-(518)-668-9347

--------

When To Climb

It is climbed during summer time when weather permits easier access.During off-season (winter) this mountain is still accessible but the moderately difficult route could add an extra hour or so to the climb.CampingCamping is great in this area. It's rugged but also has a nice humble lean-to for the more none rugged campers. It's the best of both worlds. As stated, you can't camp on the mountain itself, however, there are different lean-to areas below the mountain about 2 miles from the top. Author nutsnboltsExternal Links

Lake Trout
Landlocked Salmon
Rainbow Trout
Largemouth Bass
Northern Pike
Pickerel
Panfish
Yellow Perch
Black Mt. 2,665 ft.
Erebus Mt. 2,533 ft.
Buck Mt. 2,334 ft.
Pilot Knob Mt. 2,180 ft.
Elephant Mt. 1,954 ft.
Fifth Peak Mt. 1,822 ft.
French Point Mt. 1,748 ft.
French Mt. 1,345 ft.
Cooks Mt. 1,296 ft.
Bixby Mt. 1,154 ft.
Rodgers Rock 1,078 ft.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

cstroh8 - Oct 9, 2013 11:35 am - Hasn't voted

Parking Fee

There is no parking fee when approaching the mountain from the East side/Lapland Pond trails

Viewing: 1-1 of 1