Breithorn (Lauterbrunner)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.47795°N / 7.87479°E
Additional Information Elevation: 12408 ft / 3782 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Breithorn (Lauterbrunner) is a graceful designed, even - moderate rock pyramid in the valley conclusion of the Lauterbrunnental in the Bernese Oberland in Switzerland. In alpine history it has developped, not at least by the art of alpine painting with the Schmadribach waterfall in front of it, to a real "prototype" of alpine romantic.
You have an informative overview about this mountain by taking the cablecar to the Schilthorn (2960m) from Stechelberg in the Lauterbrunnen valley, but also the valley itself allows many breathtaking views which awakes a desire to climb on it. However, the access on top of the peak is arduous. Even the easiest rise from the Mutthorn hut (2901m) is analysed by the alpine scale with II/III.

Getting There

You arrive the Lauterbrunnental region by train or by car from Bern to Interlaken. Than you turn right in the direction of Lauterbrunnen/ Grindelwald. At the end of the road in Stechelberg/Rütti (Hotel) you find a great parking place where you can leave your car (low parking fees).
You need two days for a Breithorn trip:
1st day: Take the footpath high above the Lauterbrunnen valley over Trachsellauenen, Obersteinberg and Oberhornsee (a wonderful jewel in the midst of the mountains!). Than you traverse the Tschingelfirn Glacier to the Mutthorn hut (2901m). Another access to the Mutthorn Hut from the Gastertal is possible, but I higly recommend this! It`s unforgettable for all hikers. Time: 7 hours.
2nd day: From the Mutthorn hut you have to take a short climb to the Petersgrat and the "Wetterlücke". Than you take the rock ridge (West) which you lead to the ice covered summit. Only for experienced climbers, because some short sections are fastidiously. For the ascent must be planned a time of 5 - 6 hours. The descend can be extended by a trip into the Lötschental and by returning into the Lauterbrunnental by train and bus.

Red Tape

There are no permits or summit fees to expect. In the region around the Breithorn you go through a protected nature area. There are several rules to follow which are published in the region of the valley conclusion. Parking is no problem, but you have to expect parking fees wherever you want to leave your car.

When To Climb

A climbing tour is recommended in the summer season, because the Mutthorn hut is only open between June and October.

Camping

There are several good camping places in Stechelberg, f.e. "Camping Breithorn"(!) with a wonderful view to the "top of your dreams" or "Camping Rütti" near the parking place and the hotel. Wild camping is strongly forbidden.
You can also overnight in some lonesome, wonderful situated little hotels in the valley conclusion: Pension Trachsellauenen, Hotel Obersteinberg or Hotel Tschingelhorn. The access to these locations is only possible by foot. Adresses and links to the huts and camping places are available on the website:
www.stechelberg.ch

Mountain Conditions

The Lauterbrunnen region is a touristic point of first class in switzerland. So you have the possibility to get several regards also of the Breithorn by using the webcams of the touristic locations in this region, f.e.
www.wengen-muerren.ch Especially recommended: The wonderful 360° - panoramas!
www.wengen.com
www.schilthorn.ch
www.gimmelwald.com
or,specially recommended:
www.swisspano- rama.com.

Mutthorn hut
The phone number of the Mutthorn hut is:
0041 33 853 13 44 (hut) or:
0041 33 855 2531 (private).

External Links

  • Stechelberg Homepage
    Here you have an overview about the overnight possibilities if you want to make a trip to the Breithorn.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Fred Spicker

Fred Spicker - Nov 11, 2009 6:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Lat / Long

The Lat and Long for this peak are quite far off. More correct is 46.47795 / 7.87479

Andreas Fischer

Andreas Fischer - Nov 20, 2009 5:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Lat / Long

Thanks, I have corrected it! Greetings Andreas

Viewing: 1-2 of 2