Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.88120°N / 71.8433°W
Additional Information Elevation: 3453 ft / 1052 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Carr Mountain from Stinson...Carr Mountain


Carr Mountain is one of the very few undiscovered mountains in New Hampshire. Though the mountain isn't above timberline, or over four thousand feet, the hike is clearly a winner among the few people who have hiked it. On top at the remains of an old fire tower is good views toward Mt. Mooselauke and many of the White Mountains to the north while Mt. Cardigan and many of the southern foothills lie to the south. The views become exceptional when you climb many of the boulder that circle the top. Many times it is just you alone on top of the mountain (no Times Square feel) which is rare in New Hampshire.

Carr Mountain from...Carr Mountain


The route itself up to the top of Carr Mountain is a very easy class one trail. There isn't even a scramble on the Carr Mountain Trail which is unlike most of the White Mountains. If coming up from the eastern side (Three Ponds side), one of the unique features halfway from the Three Ponds Trail is at one part you travel under a dead tree with its route forming an arch over the path. It almost looks as an octopus the way it is shaped.

From the western side the trail though is not maintained anymore. Only experienced hikers should try this side due to poor trail maintinance.


Getting There

VIA THREE PONDS TRAILHEAD (1310'): From I-93, Take Exit 26 west toward Rumney. At 3 miles you will come to a traffic circle. Stay to your right towards Rumney and Warren. Continue three more miles until the intersection of NH 49 (Flashing lights). Take NH 49 through the beautiful quaint town of Rumney and up toward Stinson Lake. Continue through Stinson Lake until you reach gravel road (about 6 miles). Stay on the gravel road one mile and the Three Ponds Trailhead will be on your left.

VIA WENTWORTH-WARREN HIGHWAY (700'): From I-93, Take Exit 26 west toward Rumney. At 3 miles you will come to a traffic circle. Stay to your right towards Rumney and Warren. Go past the intersection of NH 25A and stay on NH 25. The trailhead will be on your right three miles past the intersection.


Red Tape

No mandatory fee (yet!!!!)

When To Climb

Carr Mountain can be climbed at any time of the year. The mountain is more hiked in summer due to Three Ponds Road not being maintain in winter. Still with it easy grades and it great views, Carr Mountain does make a great snowshoe hike. Just use care on the rocks during winter.


Camping

Carr Mountain can be easily done in a half day (6.0 miles). However if you are interested in camping at Carr Mountain refer to the Backcountry Camping Rules.

Three Ponds Shelter is also an option for camping. It is located 1.8 miles from the Carr Mountain trailhead on the continuation of the Three Ponds Trail.

Mountain Conditions

Here are two websites that will provided you the best information on conditions in the White Mountains.


Appalachian Mountain Club

Current Trail Conditions

Summit Picture Log

Post your summit mugshot here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
technicolorNH

technicolorNH - Oct 28, 2019 6:48 pm - Hasn't voted

road improvements

The road to the Three Ponds Trailhead is now paved all the way to the trailhead. If you hit gravel you have gone too far.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.