Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.48841°N / 9.95649°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10702 ft / 3262 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Piz LanguardPiz Languard seen from the south

Piz Languard is one of the highest mountains of the Livigno Alps. At 3262m it stands on a north-to south running ridge directly opposite of the Bernina Group. The lack of direct neighbours of similar heights makes it one of the best lookout peaks in the whole Engadin region of Switzerland. On a clear day you can see as far as Gran Paradiso, 234km (145miles) away! On the other hand, the mid range panorama is impressive as well and there are few places where you can study climbers on the Biancograt ridge better than on its summit.

Moreover, Piz Languard is very easy to reach. There is a chair lift from Pontresina, aptly named "Languard", which takes you up to 2300m so that a mere 950m need to be scaled. A regular hiking trail takes you right up to the base at 2900m and at more than 3200m the mountain hut Chamanna Georgy offers food, drink and accommodation. The return trip takes little more than 5 hours (maybe less). Consequently, Piz Languard is one of the most popular 3000ers of the Alps.
Piz Languard 3262m
Piz Languard summit
Piz Languard 3262m

From the hut, the remaining 150m are the most difficult and exposed part of the route. However, a multitude of red-and-white signs ensure that you won't be able to lose your way, even in foggy conditions. But you wouldn't want to climb the mountain in these ...
Piz Languard seen from Val Languard
Piz Languard seen from Piz Muragl
Piz Languard seen from Chamanna Paradis

Thanks to the short duration of the actual acsent many hikers explore the meadows beneath the mountain in Val Vanguard, often visiting Lai Languard an emerald green lake between our mountain and neighbouring Piz Albris. There is another cable-car at Muottas Muragl, some 4km to the north-west of the mountain. The trail leading there is famous for the herds of Ibexes living there and is aptly named "Steinbockweg".

360° Summit Panorama


360° summit panorama Piz Languard, skipping the summit pyramid ;-)

Getting There

Albula AlpsThe Albula Alps above St. Moritz, seen right after the start of the ascent to Piz Languard

The trailheads at either Muottas Muragl or Pontresina are easy to reach. Both are located on B29, which heads from Samedan / St. Moritz towards Bernina Pass. Follow the signs to St. Moritz and right after / before Samedan at the roundabout take the exit towards Pontresina. The cable train to Muottas Muragl is located directly after the roundabout while Pontresina is a few km to the south.

Red Tape

Bernina GroupThe Bernina Group seen from Piz Languard

There is little parking space in Pontresina. Beside the chair lift there is a tiny parking lot with some 15 spaces, in the village itself you can find some parking decks but all parking requires fees. For a day you will have to pay around 10 CHF.

When To Climb


The Silvretta Group seen from Piz Languard, in between Livigno Alps and Sesvenna Group

Regular hiking season is from July through October. In winter you can either ski-tour the summit or go with full winter equipment (ice axe, crampons). The hut is only open duringthe summer season.

Accommodation

Refuge
The refuge right beneath the summit is
Chamanna Georgy
Accomm: 24 beds
Open: only in summer
Tel.: Tel. +41 (0)78 670 95 79
Mail: info@georgy-huette.ch

Camping
Morterasch Camping
Plauns 13
CH-7504 Pontresina
Tel.: 081 842 62 85
Fax: 081 834 51 36
E-Mail.: mail@camping-morteratsch.ch

Hotels and Apartments
www.pontresina.ch

Mountain Conditions



Maps & Books

Maps


  • Oberengadin / Alta Engadina
    1 : 40.000
    WK 99
    Kompass Verlag
    ISBN: 978-3-85026-909-4


Books


  • Oberengadin
    Rudolf & Siegrun Weiss
    Rother Verlag
    ISBN: 978-3-7633-4042-2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Livigno AlpsMountains & Rocks