Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.40100°N / 123.2145°W
Additional Information County: Siskiyou
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7322 ft / 2232 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

English Peak lies in the Marble Mountain Wilderness area in Northern California. The bulk of the Marbles lie to the North, Shasta to the East, and the Trinity Alps to the South. English peak is a granitic intrusion between 147 and 157 million years old, which has been uplifted by plate tectonics and since been eroded by glaciers.

English Peak is topped with a fire lookout. The lookout was built in the 1950's and staffed until 1973. After falling into disrepair, the lookout was restored by volunteers in 1996 and repainted in 2002. Inside of the lookout is a firefinder complete with topographic map of the surrounding area.

The Tom Taylor Cabin is about a mile below the summit The original cabin was built in the 1890s by stockman Thomas Pey Taylor in hopes of securing the "title" to the surrounding land for cattle grazing. The present structure was built in the 1940s to replace the original cabin, using only hand tools and materials from the surrounding area. The cabin has been used by the Forest Service since 1908. This cabin was used as the living quarters for the English Peak fire lookout staffers.

The shortest way to English Peak is the Little North Fork Trail listed in the "Routes" section. Starting this from the Little North Fork campground adds about 2.5 miles each way but is a more pleasant hike than the gravel road that the shorter version starts on. Distance from the Little North Fork Campground is 14 miles with an elevation gain of 5300 feet. Another popular approach is via the North Fork Trail, which is 15.8 miles one-way, with an elevation gain of 4500 feet. Both of these trailheads are accessed from Sawyer's Bar Road.

Getting There

Little North Fork trailhead is on Sawyers Bar Road about 5 miles west of Sawyers Bar, and the North Fork trailhead is about 5 miles East of Sawyers Bar.

From Interstate-5 highway (east side): Take State highway-3 from Yreka to Etna, turn right on Main Street, which later becomes Sawyers Bar Road. Proceed for about 19 miles to the North Fork trailhead or 29 miles to the Little North Fork Campground.

From Eureka (west side): Take State highway-299 toward Redding, then turn left on State highway-96. Proceed past Orleans, then turn right on Salmon River road. At Forks of Salmon the road becomes Sawyers Bar Road. Go for another 10 miles to Little North Fork. Total mileage is 120 miles.

Red Tape

None. See camping section for camp fire permit information.

When to Climb

Summer is the best season for hiking. During winter storms the east side access road may be closed. The west side access road is normally open in winter. In winter and early spring you will find plenty of snow in upper reaches of the mountain.

Camping

Camping is allowed in Tom Taylor Cabin. The area's many lakes are also popular spots for backcountry camping. Backcountry camping in Marble Mountain Wilderness requires a camp fire permit during the fire season. If you don't plan on having camp fires, no permits are needed. For permit info, contact Klamath National Forest at 1312 Fairlane Rd, Yreka, CA 96097. Phone: (530) 842-6131.

Camping is not allowed in the fire lookout.



Wildlife

Exercise caution on the trail, since this area is inhabited by Bears, Rattlesnakes and possibly Bigfoot


Conditions











Klamath National Forest

Salmon River Ranger District
11263 N. Highway 3
Fort Jones, CA, 96032-9702
Phone: 530-468-5351
Fax: 530-468-1290
TTY: 530-468-2783


NOAA weather


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.