Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.39300°N / 122.944°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4773 ft / 1455 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Minutes from Vancouver, Mt. Seymour is best known as one of three local ski mountains in winter and a hiking area in summer. What it also provides is a great winter training ground for locals to prepare themselves for more serious mountains. There are a couple of steep sections where you can practice crevasse rescue skills, and nothing beats hiking with a full pack on a snowy mountain with great views for getting the legs and back into shape. There are three peaks, with Third Peak being the true summit. There is a considerable dip between Second & Third Peak, where you definitely want proper boots and an ice axe in winter. Due to its accessibility, many recreational hikers come unprepared for weather changes and mountain terrain and wind up in trouble. It's not a technical climb, but treat it like a mountain!

Visit the BC Parks - Mount Seymour Provincial Park site

Getting There

Depending on where in Vancouver you are coming from, you will want to take either the Second Narrows Bridge or the Lions Gate Bridge to the North Shore.

Second Narrows: Heading North across the Second Narrows, take the second exit to Mount Seymour Parkway. Follow Mount Seymour Parkway east to Mount Seymour road where you turn left. Follow the road up the mountain to the ski area parking lot. Park at the far North end of the lot, which is where the trailhead is.

View Highway Map to area
View Trail Map of area

Red Tape

Parking is free and permits are not required.

When To Climb

You can hike on Mount Seymour year round. Snow conditions for training are best from late November to late May. In the summer, trails become bare, but the views are still nice on clear days.

Camping

Due to its close proximity to the city, the mountain is more of a day hike than a desirable location for camping.

There are appearantly areas within the park that you may camp on a first come first serve basis. For more information, visit the BC Parks - Mount Seymour Provincial Park site

Mountain Conditions

Vancouver has very unpredictable weather with sudden changes in the local mountains. Always be prepared for anything.

For current weather conditions, visit Environment Canada



For current avalanche conditions, visit Canadian Avalanche Association and check the North Shore Partner Report.

Useful Links

Mountain Climbing in BC


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.