Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 31.03000°N / 7.94°W
Additional Information Elevation: 13415 ft / 4089 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

It is a double summit big mountain, South Timesguida (4.089 m) and North Ras n'Ouanoukrim (4.083 m) separated by a little col (3.968 m). Timesguida is the 2nd highest mountain in the region and Ras (3rd) can be seen from Refuge Neltner or the new one at the back of the Mizane Valley. Excellent views of Toubkal chain and south across pre-Atlas and Sahara (normally the haze impedes the view). Less satisfactory outlook along the Ouanoukrim chain to the north and a rather dull view of the rearward side of the Tazaghârt plateau. Both peaks are very worhty of beeing attempted on skis.

Probably not climbed by an European party before 1924.


Getting There

From Marrakech go by car, taxi or bus to Asni (47 Km) on S501. From Asni there are trucks that conduce you to Imlil (17 Km). In spring mules carry to the snowline, thereafter porters could be hired. The trail is normally clear for mules all the way from early May.


Red Tape

No permits or fees required. No seasonal closures.

When To Climb

All the year but take care, summer months are too much hot in this part of Morocco. In the Haoz plain (Marrakech) during August average maximums are of 42 ºC / 108 F with 45 ºC / 115 F not uncommon. Add 3 - 5 ºC for comparable temperatures on the S side of the Atlas. Night-time temperatures at 3.000 m in August can be as high as 15 ºC / 59 F. The crucial weather band is above 3.600 m, then temperatures in the early hours of the morning are below freezing point.

Precipitation on the N slope of the Atlas is greatest between October and April. February and March are normally the worst periods. Snow settles down to 1.400 m in winter and in spring retreats to about 3.000 m. From early July pockets of snow remain in hollows and gullies above 3.000 m and by end August all traces of snow may have gone.

Camping

Refuge du Toubkal (3.207 m)

Rebuilt over Refuge Neltner, wich was a hut built after Louis Neltner (born 1904). Situated high up the Mizane Valley, more frequented than all other huts and mountain bases put together because it stands at the foot of Toubkal. Warden resident for long periods at a strech and door rarely locked. A solid construction built in 1938. Between Summers 1999 and 2000 (finished on 22/11/1999) that new hut has been built. Now it takes 86 places, it is just mattresses on the floors, quite cramped and very damp. There is also a kitchen and some dining areas. There are toilets downstairs, however, before March the water supply is frozen for most of the day, so there is no way of flushing them. CAF. Phone: 00212 (0) 6 61 69 54 63 refugetoubkal@gmail.com

Mountain Conditions

Weather conditions in Oukaïmeden, the nearest ski resort.

CAF-Maroc

External Links

Moroccan High Atlas Mountains & Mount Toubkal News, includes weather and guides information.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Central High AtlasMountains & Rocks