Yuzhu Feng

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.65230°N / 94.24790°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 20269 ft / 6178 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Yuzhu Feng is East Kunlun Range's highest Peak. It is close the city of Golmud, which has daily rail service. Its north and south base camps are less than 10 km from the paved, busy Qinghai-Tibet highway, currently the main overland route into Tibet from China. Jeeps, trucks, even minivans can make it to the basecamps.

Yuzhu Feng's south slope route is an easy glacier walk with a gain of only 1500 m; its north slope route involves more tricky glacier travel with steeper gradients and numerous crevasses. The north base camp elevation is 4300 m, south base camp elevation is 4800 m.

Because of its convenient approach and the easy south slope, Yuzhu Feng has become Chinese mountaineers' beginner peak. However, in May 2000 5 people died in a storm on Yuzhu Feng.

Getting There

Travel to Golmud: There is one express train daily from Lanzhou, Gansu province, which takes 16 hours to arrive in Golmud. The train also passes Xining, Qinghai province (starting from Xining cuts the time by 4 hours). Both Lanzhou and Xining are major cities with air service, Lanzhou is bigger and has more service.

Travel to base camp: Take Qinghai-Tibet highway south of Golmud for 4 hours.
  • To go to south base camp, cross Kunlun Shankou (mountain pass) then turn left (east) before milepost 2900 km, then drive 10 km to base camp.
  • To go to north base camp, drive to Xidatan town before Kunlun Shankou, turn left (east) onto a river sandbar, drive for 10 km.

    There is a lot of bus traffic on Qinghai-Tibet highway, so catching a ride both ways is fairly easy.

    Red Tape

    Climbers are required to pay a fee to China Qinghai Mountaineering Association and obtain a permit. According to climberinfo.com the royalty cost for climbing a 6000-6999 m peak in China is $1350 for up to 20 climbers.

    Lodging

    Golmud Hotel/Hostel is the only guesthouse that accepts foreigners in Golmud. Hostel costs about $4/person.

    When To Climb

    May to September. It is often windy in May. The rainy season is July-August, it might be better to avoid this period. Therefore the optimal period is June or August-September.

    Adopt this page!

    This page's current maintainer is willing to let anyone who is more familiar with this peak to adopt the page. If interested please contact gordonye.

    External Links



  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Kunlun ShanMountains & Rocks