Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.13300°N / 122.793°W
Additional Information Elevation: 9528 ft / 2904 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Wedge Mountain is the highest peak in the Garibaldi Provincial Park. It is a very popular climb near Whistler B.C. It provides a wide and somewhat complex north face where many routes are established. The mountain offers a variety of possibilities from back country skiing, snowboarding and downhill skiing. The most popular route on the mountain is the Northeast Arete (See Route Information).

The peak was first climbed in 1974 by Geoff Mumford and Ed Zenger via Northeast Face. In 1980, PETER CHRZANOWSKI made the first ski descent via the West Couloir . The mountain offers a number of routes, mainly basic snow and ice travel. Standard mountaineering gear is needed in the winter months.

Getting There


The turn off for the Wedgmount Lake trail is located on Highway 99, about 1.2miles North of Emerald Estates, the most northern neighbourhood in Whistler. The turn-off is well marked on the highway. Take a right at the turn-off and follow the dirt road to the trailhead. A vehicle with high clearance is recommended. From the trailhead, the well marked trail climbs 1200m to the hut at Wedgemount Lake. From here you can gain access to the north face of the peak.


The nearest major airport is located in Vancouver, BC. From there it is about a 2 hour drive to the Whistler area.

Red Tape


The hut is often occupied in the summer months. Be prepared and bring a tent or bivy sack.

When To Climb


June through September offer good conditions for summer climbing. Some people climb and ski in this area year round as well.

Camping


Camping is allowed near Wedgemount Hut and also sometimes the hut can provide shelter if not occupied. Estimate that hut could comfortably fit 6 people and gear.

Mountain Conditions


bivouac.com has routes, photos, conditions, etc.

Links


Whistler Guide Service


Full Set of Pictures

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
ClimberMan420

ClimberMan420 - Mar 16, 2008 1:07 pm - Hasn't voted

getting there

After turning off the highway a small bridge is crossed and a left takes you up a small hill 1 km to a gated road continuing straight and a sign marks Wedgemont Lake trail head right pointing up a hill, this is usually as far as the road is plowed in the winter, it is a further 2 km to the summer parking lot located at about 800m elevation. low clearance vehicles usually have no problem on the access road these days. The hike up to the lake is on a an easy to follow well flagged trail that climbs up through the forest steep for an hour then levels a bit before reaching treeline where in opens up and becomes quite steep up to the flat lake area at about 1900m. In winter this trail can be quite gruelling on skins as parts become to steep and exposed for skinning. This keeps much of the winter visitors to a minimum as people opt for easier to access areas. The hut is about 250m past the top of the steep part on approach set atop a steep hill that drops down to the lake.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Jun 1, 2015 4:01 pm - Voted 4/10

Please Adopt

This page needs a lot more detail. The owner is inactive. If you have climbed it, please consider adopting the page and making updates. Contact The Elves and they will give it to you.

alsyhodge

alsyhodge - Feb 15, 2017 4:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Please Adopt

Hello, I climbed Wedge last summer and can add more information and photos. Cheers! allen

gimpilator

gimpilator - Feb 15, 2017 5:37 pm - Voted 4/10

Re: Please Adopt

That's wonderful. Contact The Elves using the link in your inbox and they should turn the page over to you.

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Feb 15, 2017 8:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Please Adopt

Page has been transferred to you. :-)

Viewing: 1-5 of 5


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.