Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.66696°N / 113.76386°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 8684 ft / 2647 m
Sign the Climber's Log
Classic Bearhat/Hidden Lake...Bearhat Mountain from the northeast
Photo by montanaboy.

Bearhat Mountain, from the summit...From the east.

Overview

Bearhat MountainFrom the north.


Accessed from Logan Pass in Glacier National Park, Bearhat Mountain is an easy day climb and a good introduction to the unique climbing conditions in the park. From its summit you can see virtually every other summit within the park, except those obscured by Mount Jackson. Reynolds and Clements are more popular summits at the Pass, so this summit is, despite its accessibility, not done as often.

The mountain is named for a Kootenai tribal leader. For this and other interesting historical information, visit Glacier History.

Views from Bearhat

Gunsight Mountain and the Sperry Glacier Basin from the northSouth to Sperry Glacier & Gunsight.
Edwards Mountain from the northeastSE to Edwards
Mount Cannon from the southNorth to Cannon
Reynolds Mountain from the west.East to Reynolds.

Getting There

The view of Logan Pass from...Setting from the NE.


Glacier National Park is located in northwestern Montana. Going-to-the-Sun Road is the main scenic route through the Park and the way to Logan Pass and Reynolds Mountain. It is not kept open during the winter. Closing in the fall and opening in the spring depends on snow depth and conditions. Opening can be as late as July.

Current Road Status

A map of the Logan Pass area: Logan Pass Area Map


Bearhat Mountain is approached via the Hidden Lake trail. After most of the snow is melted, the NPS closes the meadows and other areas near the pass to protect fragile vegetation. A boardwalk has been constructed along portions of the trail to the Hidden Lake Overlook because of the high traffic. Watch for mountain goats at the Hidden Lake Overlook.

Route Overview

Bearhat Mountain, East Face;...East Face

GUIDEBOOK: A CLIMBER'S GUIDE TO GLACIER NATIONAL PARK; J. Gordon Edwards

A detailed route description is also included in CLIMB GLACIER NATIONAL PARK Volume 1

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

Because of the nature of the rock, there are special considerations regarding climbing in Glacier National Park, and grading systems unique to the Park have been developed. Please see this Fact Sheet for further details:

GNP Rock & Grading Systems

Only one route is described on Bearhat Mountain:

East Face Route, Glacier Park Class 2 and 3, if the correct route is followed. The route ascends the east face just south of the obvious large couloir and is typical Glacier Park scrambling with short cliffs and scree covered ledges.

Climbing Season and Conditions

Bearhat Mtn, from well above...Early Spring.

Mid to late summer into early fall, depending on when Going- to- the -Sun Highway opens and on the snow conditions.

Expect snow any time of the year!

Weather Page an overview with a link to the local forecast.

Webcam Page

Red Tape

Current Entrance Fees

Registration for day climbs in Glacier National Park is recommended, but not mandatory.

Outdoor Activity Page Includes links to boating, bicycling, fishing, etc. and the regulations applying to each.

See Getting There regarding area closures at Logan Pass.

Camping

Bearhat MountainFrom the east.

There is no camping at Logan Pass.

There are numerous campgrounds available within Glacier National Park:

Backcountry Camping Page Includes trail status reports, campground availability, daily backcountry bulletins, and a backcountry blog.

Car Camping Page

There are also many campgrounds just outside the Park on both the west and east sides.

Camping on the Blackfeet Reservation is restricted to established campgrounds only.

External Links

Logan Pass Photo Gallery
National Park Service page showing pictures from the Logan Pass area

Glacier National Park Homepage

Glacier Mountaineering Society

Non-government Glacier National Park Information
Bearhat Mountain Panorama...Panorama from the east by Aaron Johnson


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.