Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.27830°N / 111.4495°W
Additional Information Elevation: 11166 ft / 3403 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lone Mountain overlooks a ski facility. The mountain is located in a resort that has plenty of condominiums, ski chalets, and mountain side vacation homes as well as businesses to support them. The mountain itself is very beautiful as it stands well above the development, and is a large, pyramid shaped mountain. There are ski lifts along the eastern side of the mountain. You can utilize the ski lifts to reduce the strain on the knees for the descent if required. The resort is at approximately 7,600'. There is a lift to the summit.

The first part of the climb follows the dual ski lifts starting at Big Sky Mountain Village at 7,550 feet. The slope varies from 10 to 30 degrees until the top of the dual lifts are reached at 9,200 feet. From this point, there are two non-technical routes available.

Two other mountains which are in the general vicinity of Lone Lountain are Garnet Mountain and Koch Peak.

Getting There

From Bozeman, Montana, take highway 191 South for approximately one hour until you reach Big Sky, Montana. Make a right hand turn onto Route 64 (Big Sky Road). Go approximately seven miles and make a left hand turn at Big Sky Resort. Here you can utilize the ski lifts or climb the mountain. It's about a 2 1/2 mile climb from the parking lot or a 1/2 mile climb from the highest lift station. Lone Mountain is about a one hour drive north of the west entrance to Yellowstone Park.

 

Red Tape

[img:138579:alignright:medium:]There are no permits required to my knowledge. The property to the west is owned by the exclusive Yellowstone Club, which actively enforces it's no trespassing policy.

 

When To Climb

Late May through October.

During the winter, avalanche closures and uphill travel is restricted. For a period in the spring and fall after the lifts are closed the mountain is usually closed to "all forms of recreation" including uphill travel. You can get permission to climb by checking in at the ski patrol building.

Check with the resort before you head off there planning to climb Lone Mountain.

Contact Big Sky Resort for maps, prices, etc.

Camping

There are plenty hotels nearby. Campsites are available, but further away. Lone Mountain is located in/near Gallatin National Forest. There are millions of acres of publicly held land. There are four U.S.F.S Campgrounds north on highway 191 within ten miles of Big Sky.

www.bigskyresort.com

Need Gear ?

There are (2) local climbing shops located in Bozeman. Try either REI or Northern Lights Trading Company. They both have an excellent supply of climbing gear.

In addition, they are an excellent source of local climbing conditions, etc.

I have posted links to both shops in the links section.

Mountain Conditions

Grizzly Outfitters located in Meadow Village Center in Big Sky is very close to the mountain and they can give you tons of information as well as sell you any gear that you might need.

Phone: 406-995-2939
Toll Free Phone: 888-807-9452
www.grizzlyoutfitters.com
info@grizzlyoutfitters.com

Routes

Starting from the chair lifts at 9,220 feet, there are two routes available.. See the Routes page for detailed route information

1.) Traverse south until the large SE ridge is reached. Climb the ridge with slopes to 40 degrees near the summit.

2.) Traverse around the mountain counterclockwise and climb the north ridge. The ridge is reached at 9,800 feet, then slopes up to 35 degrees are climbed to the summit.

There is a lift that goes to the summit of the mountain which service the double and triple black diamond runs.

 

Weather Forecasts

theme=default&user=default&forecast=hourly&place=Bozeman&state=Mt&zipcode=&icao=KSHD&country=us&bgc=&tc=&t=&metric=0&display="border="0"width="175"height="90">


theme=default&user=default&forecast=zone&zipcode=&place=Bozeman&state=Mt&country=us&bgc=&tc=&t=&metric=0&display="border="0"width="330"height="203">

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.