Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.30800°N / 118.287°W
Additional Information Elevation: 11510 ft / 3508 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Kern Peak is located in a very remote area of the southern Sierra in the eastern section of the Golden Trout Wilderness. At 11,510 feet, it is not actually a high Sierra peak. Kern Peak lacks the alpine qualities of the Sierra Crest found a few miles north at Chicken Spring and Rocky Basin Lakes, and Olancha Peak to the east, which anchors the southeastern end of the High Sierra. Instead, Kern Peak is set on the broad, 8-10,000 feet Kern Plateau, which contains several large meadows, rolling hills, and vast upper montane forests consisting of foxtail and lodgepole pines. Although it is remote, the rolling, sandy landscape is easy to traverse.

Along with Olancha and Cirque Peaks, Kern Peak is probably the most prominent point in the eastern section of Golden Trout Wilderness. It thus has sweeping views of the middle and upper Kern River drainage and much of the far southern Sierra, including Olancha Peak, the Langley and Whitney areas, the southern Kaweah Range, the mountains of the Mineral King area and the western section of the Golden Trout Wilderness, and the Dome Land Wilderness of the far southern Sierra.

Because it overlooks such a large area, Kern Peak was formerly a fire lookout. Remnants of the lookout, including much debris, remain on the summit. Kern Peak is most commonly climbed using the class 1 trail to the top. Much of the area immediately south of Kern Peak was burned in the summer of 2002 by the 150,000 acre McNally fire.

Getting There


To get to the Cottonwood Pass trailhead, take the Whitney Portal Road west from Lone Pine for 3 miles, turning left (south) onto Horseshoe Meadows Road for about 20 miles until reaching the trailhead at the end of the road. From the Cottonwood Pass trailhead there are two possible approaches to the Tunnel Guard Station, which is located near the beginning of the climbing route (see map below). Both are long but easy.

1. Cottonwood Pass (12.5 miles to Tunnel Guard Station): hike west across Horseshoe Meadow until reaching the top of Cottonwood Pass at mile 3. Just below the west side of the pass, the trail intersects the Pacific Crest Trail. Continue down Cottonwood Pass, eventually reaching and crossing large Big Whitney Meadows. At mile 7.25 at the western edge of Whitney Meadows, turn left (south) down Golden Trout Creek until reaching Tunnel Guard Station.

2. Trail Pass (11 miles to Tunnel Guard Station): this route is shorter than the Cottonwood Pass route but slightly less interesting. From the trailhead, hike west for one-third mile, then turn left (south), reaching Trail Pass at two miles. The route now enters the South Fork of the Kern River watershed—the native range of the golden trout. Continue over Trail Pass through Mulkey Meadows. Mulkey Meadows is dry, has many sand dunes, and somewhat resembles a wilderness golf course. Continue hiking across gentle terrain through Tunnel Meadows, arriving at Tunnel Guard Station at mile 11.

Red Tape


Wilderness pemits are required for all overnight visitors to Golden Trout Wilderness. Permits may be obtained at the Mt. Whitney Ranger Station, located in Lone Pine, California. Cottonwood Pass is a popular eastside Sierra trailhead and is subject to a quota on visitation for much of the year, which can make entry during summer weekends difficult. However, permits for Cottonwood Pass may be reserved in advance by paying a $5/person fee. Information on permit reservations is available online or call (760) 876-6200.

When To Climb


Climbing is best from May-October, depending on current weather conditions and snowfall amounts from the previous winter.


Camping


There are several campsites situated in a large, flat, forested area south of Tunnel Guard Station along the South Fork of the Kern River. There are also campsites in Ramshaw Meadows 1.25 miles down the South Fork of the Kern River from Tunnel Guard Station.

Near the Cottonwood Pass approach, Chicken Spring Lake and Rocky Basin Lakes are very nice areas to camp.

Mountain Conditions


Inyo National Forest visitor information: (760) 876-6200

Updated weather information is also available.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
tarol

tarol - Feb 6, 2006 1:39 pm - Voted 9/10

Inyo Permits link is broken

Try this one :) Inyo NF Permits and Reservations

tarol

tarol - Jul 18, 2006 8:09 pm - Voted 9/10

Southern Access Point

It is also possible to hike to Kern Peak from the southern end. The Blackrock Trailhead off of the Sherman Pass Road in Sequoia National Forest would be a logical place to start and this route has the added plus of passing near Jordan Hot Springs.

bobpickering

bobpickering - Aug 8, 2017 12:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Blackrock Trailhead

Steve Eckert (http://www.climber.org/reports/1999/465.html)and Bob Burd (http://www.snwburd.com/bob/trip_reports/kern_1.html) have posted trip reports approaching from Blackrock Trailhead as tarol suggests. I dayhiked this route and really enjoyed it. It’s definitely shorter than starting at Horseshoe Meadow.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Southern SierraMountains & Rocks
 
Golden Trout WildernessMountains & Rocks