Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.49030°N / 105.645°W
Additional Information Elevation: 13404 ft / 4086 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Rowe Peak is the fifth tallest mountain in the Mummy Range. The Mummy Range spreads across the northern part of Rocky Mountain National Park and consists of six 13ers: Hagues Peak (13,560 ft), Fairchild Mountain (13,502 ft), Ypsilon Mountain (13,514 ft), Mummy Mountain (13,425 ft), Rowe Peak (13,404 ft), Mount Chiquita (13,069 ft). Rowe Peak is not spectacular; in fact climbing it from the Icefield Pass side is pretty anticlimactic (you just climb up the valley until you reach the top and you’re there). However, the view of Hagues Peak, Rowe Glacier, and the ridge that connect Hagues Peak and Rowe Peak are pretty spectacular.

Rowe Glacier is one of only five true glaciers in Rocky Mountain National Park. It was discovered in 1880 during the great grasshopper plague when millions of the pests flew over from Utah and lodged on high mountain snow fields. The grasshoppers attracted greedy bears, and the bears attracted hunters. One such hunter was a homesteader named Israel Rowe. He came upon the glacier while guiding guests of Lord Dunraven on a hunting trip. His name was later given to the glacier and Rowe Peak.

Getting There


Rowe Peak is not close to any trailhead, however it is about equidistant from three trailheads (as the crow flies): Emmaline Lake Trailhead, Chapin Creek Trailhead, and Lawn Lake Trailhead.
  • Lawn Lake Trailhead—From downtown Estes Park take Highway 34 west through the Fall River Entrance. About two miles past the entrance you'll see the Lawn Lake Trailhead.
  • Chapin Creek Trailhead—From downtown Estes Park take Highway 34 west through the Fall River Entrance. About two miles past the entrance, take a right so that you're going toward Endovalley Picnic Area. Once you pass the picnic area you'll be on Old Fall River Road. Follow this for about 7.5 miles. After you pass the series of sharp swithbacks look for the trailhead. Old Fall River Road is oneway in the uphill direction. It closes during the winter and whenever Trail Ridge Road is closed (which can happen at any time) so contact the park rangers before planning on using this trailhead.
  • Emmaline Lake Trailhead—There are two ways to get to the Emmaline Lake Trailhead. I've driven both and am still not sure which way is fastest. Here they are:
    • Poudre Canyon—From downtown Ft. Collins go north on U.S. 287 to mile marker 22. Turn west on Hwy. 14 going up Poudre Canyon. Stay on Hwy. 14 to mile market 96 which is the turnoff for Pingree Park (CR-63E). Turn south across the bridge and drive on a gravel road for about 15 miles until you see the sign for Tom Bennett Campground on the right side of the road. Turn right onto this road and about a quarter mile past Tom Bennett Campground you'll see the Emmaline Lake Trailhead.
    • Pennock Pass—From Ft. Collins, take Harmony west. After you pass Taft Hill, Harmony becomes CR-38E. Take CR-38E past Horsetooth Mountain Park to Masonville. Continue through Masonville and go about 10 miles until you see the sign for Pennock Pass (this is CR-44H). Take CR-44H approximately 15 miles over the top of the pass and down the other side until you run into CR-63E. Turn left on CR-63E and continue up this road until you see the sign for Tom Bennett Campground on the right side of the road. Turn right onto this road and about a quarter mile past Tom Bennett Campground you'll see the Emmaline Lake Trailhead. Pennock Pass may be closed in the winter so contact Canyon Lakes Ranger District to make sure it's open if you want to use it during the winter.

Red Tape


No permit is required to climb Rowe Peak. If you begin your hike from either of the trailheads inside Rocky Mountain National Park you'll have to pay the park entrance fee. Access to the Chapin Creek Trailhead is limited, so contact Rocky Mountain National Park before planning to use that trailhead. Camping within Rocky Mountain National Park is only allowed in designated campsites and requires a permit.

Camping


Camping within Rocky Mountain National Park is only allowed in designated campsites and requires a permit.

You don't need a permit to camp in Comanche Peak Wilderness. In Comanche Peak Wilderness, there are Travel Zones where stove camping is allowed only in designated campsites. If you're not in a Travel Zone, camping and campfires are allowed wherever you want.

Mountain Conditions


Contact Rocky Mountain National Park for the latest weather conditions. The rangers there are super-friendly and are happy to answer all your questions.

Contact Rocky Mountain National Park


The rangers at Rocky Mountain National Park are super-friendly and are happy to answer all your questions. Here is the contact information I pulled off of their website (www.nps.gov/romo).

email
ROMO_Information@nps.gov

*e-mail messages will be responded to in the order received and usually within 24 hours of receipt.

write to
Rocky Mountain National Park
1000 Highway 36
Estes Park, CO 80517-8397

fax
970-586-1256
  phone
Visitor Information
970-586-1206

Visitor Information Recorded Message
970-586-1333

Visitor Information (TDD)
970-586-1319

Backcountry
970-586-1242

Campground Reservations
800-365-2267

Contact Canyon Lakes Ranger District


For information regarding Comanche Peak Wilderness, Roosevelt National Forest, and Pennock Pass contact the Canyon Lakes Ranger District. Here is the contact info I pulled off of their website (www.fs.fed.us/arnf/districts/clrd).
  • Address: 1311 South College, Fort Collins, Colorado 80524
  • Phone: (970) 498-2770
  • TTY: (970) 498-2727
  • Fax: (970) 498-2769

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.