Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.51410°N / 111.961°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2704 ft / 824 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Phoenix has the best urban hiking in the nation. It has quite a few parks and preserves that can be hiked through, all containing summits from an elevation gain of a few hundred feet to 1,400 feet. South Mountain, Camelback Mountain and Piestewa Peak (formerly Squaw Peak) are the only summits that rise more than 1,000 feet in Phoenix's city limits. Around Phoenix there are the Estrella Mountains, McDowell Mountains, South Mountains, Superstition Mountains, White Tank Mountains and others. All of these areas have trails and mountains that can be climbed. Camelback Mountian is the highest mountain in the Phoenix Mountains and a prominent landmark. The trails are very busy, many people hike this mountain every day. The trail is short, only about 1.25 miles to the top, but very steep and there are handrails to help you pull yourself up the mountain. If you don't use the handrails then using the rocks work just as good and makes for a funner climb in my opinion. The Camels Head and Bobby's Rock area can be used to rock climb.

 

 

Getting There

Echo Canyon Trail head:  Distance: 1.50 miles

Elevation Gain:1,300 feet Take Camelback Road east then turn north on 44 St. 44th turns east on to McDonald Drive. Then turn south on Echo Canyon Parkway. This route is the more difficult one and goes straight up the mountain. It's also the main way up and is very busy.

Cholla Trailhead: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,275 feet Take Camelback east then turn north onto Invergordon, The Parking is on the west side of the street. This route is a little easier and is less busy then Echo Canyon. The first half of this hike is a good easy trail up to a saddle. The last half is a bit expose as it continues up the ridge and is a fun climb to the top. THIS HAS BEEN CLOSED SINCE MARCH OF 2020 AND A NEW ACCESS POINT IS BEING CONSTRUCTED TO BE READY LATE 2022

 

 

Red Tape

Echo Canyon trail is open, but Cholla Trail is closed.  A new Cholla Trail will open in Late 2022.  The old one will cease to exist.

 

 

 

When To Climb

A view of the sunrise progression from Camelback Mountain over the Four Peaks

Summer temps are very hot, 110+ degrees . October through April is the best time. Bring a lot of water. The highs are often in the 60's and 70's. If you do hike Camelback in the summer, the best time to start is about 4:00am-5:00am. You won't beat the heat, but will beat the scorching heat. The summer time lows are usually about 80-90 degrees. The earth soaks in the heat during the day and you can feel the heat rising from the mountain. Once the sun comes up, you are baked between the earth and the rising scorching sun. another reason to start early is to beat the crowds. Once the sun comes up everybody hits the mountain. Parking also gets bad, as you might have to wait for a parking spot to open up.

Camping

The closest thing to camping you'll get is hotels. Camelback is surrounded by the city of Phoenix. Camelback is not a mountain you go to phoenix to hike, but rather you hike it because you are in the area.

Mountain Conditions

Phoenix live weather

 

 

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
NYC007

NYC007 - Feb 24, 2003 2:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

While up there I came pretty close to 3 rattlesnakes. So stay on the trail..

mczonie - Jul 25, 2022 7:46 am - Hasn't voted

Sacred Cave

Going up the mountain on Echo Canyon trail, at trail marker 25, the trail turns right. If you turn left instead, climb up on the rocks and walk forward, a small cave comes into view and you can go back there. It was sacred to the Hohokam people who inhabited the Phoenix area centuries ago and the mysteriously vanished. See youtube video below. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkwNJumGtUo

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.