Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.82136°N / 111.76134°W
Additional Information Elevation: 11928 ft / 3636 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt. Nebo is the highest peak in both Utah County and the Wasatch Mountain Range. Residents and visitors alike often erroneously assume that Mt. Timpanogos is the highest. Mt. Nebo is proud to surpass Timp by 179 ft. Mt. Nebo was likely named after the biblical Mount Nebo in the Old Testament. Three major peaks comprise the summit of Nebo, the highest of which is the north summit. It is visible for miles in all directions.

Getting There

Mt. Nebo can be approached several ways: The North route, The South Route(Andrew's Ridge) or via the town of Mona and Willow Creek. The two most popular approaches, north and south, begin on the east side of the mountain. The approach from Mona is on the west side and is less popular. The two main approaches both launch from the Nebo Loop road on the east side of the Nebo complex. The North Approach: Take Interstate 15 south from Salt Lake City for about 40 miles to the town of Payson. Take the Payson exit and measure from here. The trailhead is exactly 25 miles from the Interstate 15 exit. Go through the town of Payson for 0.7 miles and turn left at a light (100 N). Signs point the way to the Nebo Scenic Byway. Turn right after 0.2 miles onto the Nebo Scenic Byway and continue 24 miles to the Nebo Bench Trail. You may park here or continue on the dirt road at the entrance to the Nebo Bench trail parking area for 0.3 miles on Mona Pole Rd. Cross the cattle guard and park here. The road continues, but the trail follows the fence up the hill to the west. The South Approach: Follow Interstate 15 south from Salt Lake for approximately 80 miles to the town of Nephi. From Interstate 15 take exit 225 at Nephi and drive east on Utah Highway 132 for approximately 4.5 miles. Take a left (north) on the Nebo Loop Road. Drive 3.3 miles and take another left. Drive 1.3 miles to the trailhead, which is in a parking area on the left. Note: Interstate 15 passes on the west side of Mt. Nebo. The Nebo Scenic Byway passes on the east side of Mt. Nebo and connects Payson on the north with Nephi to the south.

Red Tape

No fees or permits are required. Mt. Nebo is part of the Uinta National Forest.

When To Climb

Mt. Nebo is usually climbed June-October. The Nebo Scenic Byway is not plowed in winter and approaches are longer and difficult.

Camping

Camping is permitted in the Bear Canyon and Ponderosa campgrounds. Both have drinking water and restroom facilities. Both charge a fee.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the Spanish Fork Ranger District at (801) 798-3571 for current condition information.

External Links

  • Provo Weather
  • Topo Topo of Mount Nebo
  • Mick's report Mick has climbed Nebo on three different occasions and he describes the new trail for the north summit.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Hyrum Wright

Hyrum Wright - Sep 6, 2006 7:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Mount Nebo Trip Report

Here is another Trip Report: Mount Nebo Trip Report

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Wasatch Range (South)Mountains & Rocks
 
 
Utah County HighpointsMountains & Rocks
 
Wasatch 11,000 foot peaksMountains & Rocks