Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.95200°N / 122.168°W
Additional Information Elevation: 8151 ft / 2484 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Hillman Peak is a basalt pinnacle on the western rim of Crater Lake. It is 2,100 feet north of and slightly higher than The Watchman. The Watchman is complete with parking lot, trail to the top, and a lookout tower on the summit.

Climbing traffic on Hillman Peak is light due to the ease and accessibility of The Watchman nearby. Hillman is an exposed scramble similar to the pinnacle of Mount Thielsen in difficulty. The north and south sides of the Hillman Peak pinnacle can be climbed. The north side is easier.

Hillman Peak is easily accessed from the parking lot at The Watchman. The Pacific Crest parallels Rim Drive north from the parking lot. Ascend the western slopes of Hillman from the Pacific Crest Trail to gain the base of the summit pinnacle.

The views from the summit are similar to those from The Watchman. The exposure on the east side of Hillman Peak is an extreme 2,000 feet to the surface of Crater Lake.

Getting There


Proceed via Highway 62 to the Annie Spring entrance station for Crater Lake National Park. Turn north off Highway 62 to the park entrance. The park entrance fee is $10 if you don't have one of the various national park passes. A park map sufficient for finding Hillman Peak (it is shown on the map) is available at the entrance station. Continue toward Crater Lake and stay left at each of the two paved intersections. After the second intersection you will be winding north on Rim Drive.

There is a parking lot for The Watchman approximately four miles from the second intersection. You can park here to climb Hillman Peak.

Red Tape


An entrance fee or National Park pass or Golden Eagle pass is required for park entry.

When To Climb


The normal climbing season is whenever Rim Drive is open, typically July-November. The Crater Lake Lodge on the rim is normally open year around, so this summit can be climbed in the winter if one is willing to snowshoe or cross-country ski approximately 5 miles.

Camping


There is a campground at the Annie Springs entrance: Mazama campground

Mountain Conditions


Crater Lake National Park home page
Crater Lake current conditions

Miscellaneous Info


Hillman Peak is ranked as the 75th highest mountain in Oregon according to Jeff Howbert's Oregon's Highest 100 Peaks.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.