Pyramid Peak (Little Lakes Valley)

Pyramid Peak (Little Lakes Valley)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.37470°N / 118.7567°W
Additional Information County: Fresno
Additional Information Elevation: 12866 ft / 3922 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pyramid Peak is a fine-looking peak near the head of the Little Lakes Valley, about a half-mile northeast of Bear Creek Spire, adjacent to the Northeast Face of Bear Creek Spire. Pyramid Peak is not climbed all that often due to its proximity to several other fine peaks in the area with shorter approaches and higher summits. Still, as crowded as the Little Lakes Valley is, this truly pyramid-shaped, striped peak receives little attention, and it is a fine scramble.

Getting There

The best (easiest) way to access this peak is via the Mosquito Flat trailhead. This trailhead is at 10,300' or so, making for an easy approach to the peak. The trailhead is reached by driving up the Rock Creek Road, which leaves Highway 395 at Tom's Place. Mosquito Flat is approximately 11 steep miles up the Rock Creek Road. Parking is limited at the trailhead, so during the busy summer months, get there early, or you'll get a little extra distance on your trip walking up from the overflow parking area. This trail is the remnant of one of the original roads to the tungsten mine in Pine Creek Canyon, abandoned after a better (shorter) road was built in the canyon. The other option to access this peak is the Pine Creek Road, which leaves Highway 395 near the turnoff to the famous Owens River Gorge. This turnoff is about 10 miles north of Bishop. Follow the road to the tungsten mine, and park outside the gate. This trail is an abandoned road, and the trailhead is much lower, around 7,500 feet.

Red Tape

The Little Lakes Valley trail is a quota trail, and this area is very popular. A wilderness permit is required for overnight travel in this area, and wood fires are not only passe, but prohibited. There is no fee for the limited trailhead parking at either trailhead. Be advised that the Rock Creek Road is not cleared in the winter, so once the snow flies, the road is closed.

When To Climb

The best time to climb this peak sans snow or ice is April (dry winter) or May through September (early winter) or October (normal), and even sometimes November or December. Depends upon Mother Nature.

Camping

There are over 300 campsites available in Rock Creek Canyon, in 13 different campgrounds and facilities. For all the info you will ever need on these facilities, click here.

Mountain Conditions

I am aware of no source for up to date conditions except from the Feds in Bishop. The nearest Inyo National Forest facility is in Bishop at 873 N. Main St., Bishop, CA 93514 (760) 873-2400. Or contact them here.







External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.