Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.05500°N / 105.562°W
Additional Information Elevation: 12835 ft / 3912 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Jicarita Final 100 yards.
Jicarita Final 100 yards.

Jicarita Peak is located just inside the Pecos Wilderness boundary in the Carson National Forest near Tres Ritos, NM. The Pecos Wilderness Area provides a wonderful experience backpacking or hiking.

A hike to Jicarita provides a most impressive view of the Truchas Peaks and also Trampas Peak.

This is a great peak for beginners, though you must still be in good condition and always stay alert for altitude sickness if you live at lower elevations.


Getting There

[img:60291:alignleft:small:]Jicarita Peak can be accessed via NM Highway 518 between Tres Ritos, NM and Holman, NM. Take Forest Trail 161to the Alamitos Trailhead from Highway 518. The turnoff for 161 is 7.9 miles from the Holman, NM post office, and 5.8 miles from the Tres Ritos Lodge and Cabins. This road is in very good condition, the ruts and washouts are usally plowed and it is maintained very nicely. Take this road until it dead-ends at a turn-around. Park near this turn-around, but please park so that other users can still utilize the turn-around (during hunting season lots of horseback riders need to turn their trailers around here). The Alamitos Trailhead is just across the stream and about 1/4 mile down the gravel road.

 

Red Tape

Jicarita Peak is located in the Pecos Wilderness area in the Camino Real Ranger District. There are no fees for camping, hiking, or climbing. No motorized vehicles, bicycles, or off-road vehicles are permitted into the wilderness area.

 

When To Climb

Jicarita Peak can be climbed easily from May to November. Snow can and usually does occur into early June. July and August are rainy seasons, if you plan on hiking during these months plan for an early summit. Always be prepared for mountain storms no matter what time of the year you hike.

 

Camping

There are no fees for camping, hiking, or climbing. Always check for fire restrictions in the Carson National Forest and the Pecos Wilderness before leaving for Jicarita.

 

Mountain Conditions

Here is the weather report for Holman, NM. Holman is located on NM state highway 518 about 15 miles southeast of Jicarita Peak. Make note that Holman, NM is approximately 5000 feet in elevation below Jicarita Peak, so the weather at Jicarita will vary greatly from that in Holman, NM, especially in the winter. I have driven past Jicarita in winter blizzard conditions (-25F wind chill) to Holman were I was suprised to find that it was sunny and much warmer (approx. 40F).

This link is to a NOAA weather station on Gallegos Peak, about 7 miles northwest of Jicarita at 9800 ft. This should give you a little better idea of what the weather on Jicarita Peak is like.

Try to summit by 11:30 am, before thunderstorms begin to build.

You can also contact the Camino Real Ranger District at:

Camino Real Ranger District
P.O. Box 68
Penasco, NM 87553
(505)587-2255

Current Conditions:



Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

emanuelli - Dec 5, 2005 6:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I've hiked to the top of Jicarita several times. The shortest route is from the Holman side, however, it is possible to do an easy backpack (or long day hike) from the Santa Barbara campground (fee required for day use), near Penasco, NM. I backpacked to a point near the base of the peak, set up camp and summitted the next morning. This route offers different views from the Holman side.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pecos Wilderness AreaMountains & Rocks
 
 
New Mexico 10k+ PeaksMountains & Rocks